Tetchy

By Anonymous - 24/05/2013 16:40 - Brazil - Rio De Janeiro

Today, my extremely religious father visited for a family dinner. My daughter had just one job: not to set him off on one of his easily-provoked rants. She nonetheless decided to take a photo in the middle of prayer, because she just HAD to Instagram her food. My father went apeshit. FML
I agree, your life sucks 55 395
You deserved it 9 906

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Who cares what food she is eating? She should have been spending quality time with your family and not whipped out her phone. Sorry but she deserved it, you didn't. FYL

ElementaryEdGuy 18

#Spaghetti #Meatballs #Jesus. See, Instagram prayers. He just doesn't understand the youth.

Comments

i would have done the same...just because there are religious people, doesnt mean everyone has to pray with them, so congrats on the guts of your daughter, OP ;)

It's a little different though. It's not like the guy interrupted someone else's dinner for a prayer. He was saying a prayer of thanks with his family. She didn't have to participate. She should have just kept quiet and respected the moment.

i am very well aware of that...but on the other hand, if she is not religious, she might not want to pray, or participate in the prayer for that matter. Also, her grandpa most likely disrespects her point of view (i assume, atheist) on a daily basis, considering op's comments on "easily provoked rants"

KVKdragon 26

I agree that not everyone believes in what other people believe but respect for certain customs are expected all the same. One of my teachers is catholic and he's still an outstanding teacher all the same. At our graduation, he gave a prayer to guide every senior graduating. Everyone may not have believed but there's still a general expectancy to respect the custom/act all the same. Try this kind of thing in another country and you'll be berated or worse persecuted for not following expected practices (even if you don't believe in them). All I'm saying is to "conform" a little out of respect for others without sacrificing your own beliefs, values, and practices

No one mentioned the girl being atheist. I'm sure if that was the case, OP probably would have mentioned it. Sounds to me like she doesn't give a shit.

4 out of my 6 very best friends, including my bf, are VERY religious, from different religions, and i am really not a person who disrespects religion, but im sure that op's daughter's action was a response to things that have happened earlier. Again i have to refer to the "easily provoked rants" he makes. No offense to anyone, but im sick and tired of everyone expecting atheists to respect everyones beliefs, but religious people have every right to tell us that we will go to hell or similar things. im sure this didnt come out of the blue, and op's father deserved it. However, i have to agree that it is rude to do so in general during a family moment of any kind.

groovycrazyjoe 18

@30 you telling me she couldn't wait 30 seconds, if I was her mother I would've thrown that phone into a wall

#42 Somehow I doubt the daughter did it as a rebellion against her grandfather's rants, and instead was just being an annoying teen who can't leave her phone alone for five minutes.

While I an a religious person, I respect that other people believe in other religions, or no religion at all. I will never tell an atheist that they are going to hell for not believing in God. It is not my place to judge someone that way. I'm my religion, only God is allowed to judge.

#42 how often do you really find yourself in a situation where people don't respect your athesim? I wouldn't disrespect anyone for their view in life, and wouldn't tell you you're going to hell. However if someone disrespect my belief I'll think less of them as a person because they are immature not because of what they believe in.

kcslgvr 11

No one should be on the phone at the dinner table anyways, it's inconsiderate and a blatant sign of disrespect. She didn't (and shouldnt) have to participate, but she should have at least shown some self-restraint and respect to her family by just waiting until the prayer was over.

that of course is a possibility, all im saying is its not necessarily that way...however in this case, OP YDI for raising her to be such an obnoxious idiot like so many of that generation...

Mads_1234 28

Hey, don't lump all of us into one group. I may be part of this generation, but I think OP's daughter was extremely disrespectful of her grandfather's beliefs. She doesn't have to believe what he believes, she just has to respect it.

#66, If I were her mother, I would have thrown both her and her phone into the wall.

UnluckyGenius 21

Yeah your daughter is a moron and your father in the right on this one. Should have took her phone.

Would it really be so hard to refrain herself from taking pictures before the prayer was over? I mean seriously, she kinda deserved it

I could give a shit about the prayer, its disrespectful to do that at the family table

softkitty77 6

They both should have behaved better. Your daughter should have had the courtesy to wait. And your father didn't need to overreact. He only turns people away from God with those actions and attitudes.

lishajoy777 14

I'd confiscate her phone for a while. Not for taking pictures during the prayer, but for not doing the one thing you asked her to. But that's just me.

larsak 3

LOL should've told him to **** off.

groovycrazyjoe 18

why would she do that, even if she isn't religious, her entire family was in a moment of silence. SHOW SOME TYPE OF RESPECT

Alright, alright, Crazy Joe! Calm down, Jesus!

You need to teach her that no one cares what she is eating. The sooner these people learn, the sooner it'll stop.

Sadly, people do.Do you know how many likes photos of food get you?