Supportive

By ChubbyAmerican - 22/05/2010 23:24 - United States

Today, my very handsome, fit, Russian boyfriend tried to make me feel better about being a little overweight by telling me, "It's okay, you're American, everyone expects you to be fat." FML
I agree, your life sucks 38 922
You deserved it 15 905

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I guess people assume Americans are fat like they assume Canada is a barren winter wonderland where the inhabitants live in igloos, ride moose and polar bears, and are governed by Tim Hortons. :P

fits138 0

maybe he was joking...? I thought it was funny...

Comments

You have a handsome, fit Russian boyfriend who is really really nice even if he's not so good at being comforting. Your life doesn't suck at all!

Russian BF didn't say "All Americans are fat". What he said was "[Americans are] expected to be fat" This means that he understands that fat in USA is the norm, not the exception. It's good to hear that you're not fat - and it's also nice that you're American - as Dr Who might have said: "Some of my best friends are American" :o)

that's funny. I'm American, and have to admit we've got some fat mofos! but so does every other country. anyways, ppl need to quit being so damn sensitive! lighten up, and see the humor in the remark! it's funny!

mjolene 0

in soviet Russia , fast food eat you!

muffinsareyummy 1

Sadly, all Russians believe all Americans are fat. That's just the way it is. If you don't like it then don't date/be friends with Russians, that's the only advice I have for you.

uh... hello? stereotypical much?! if you're going to argue your point, at least do it so it doesn't make you seem like a hypocrite.

I don't think that word means what you think it means. This comment isn't hypocritical. Does she stereotype? Sure. Generalize? You betcha! Contradict herself/in any way indicate that the aforementioned comment isn't truly indicative of her beliefs? Not so much.

One could argue that the "sadly" does make her a hypocrite. It conveys a feeling of regret that Russians stereotype Americans. Then she goes on the blatantly steteotype Russians, which seems to contradict that implied regret. Just sayin'.

muffinsareyummy 1

Dude, I'm an American. Born and raised in our Nation's Capital. Being fat is something that Americans are known for in European countries whether we like it or not. (Hence the ******* word sadly.)

muffinsareyummy 1

And no, I'm not stereotyping Russians. I've got Russian friends that will flat out tell you they think, compared to people in Russia, that most Americans are fat.

I think that was more of a "get over it" sadly than a "I truly regret this state of affairs" sadly. Honestly, your explanation is a HUGE stretch for me.

muffinsareyummy 1

I really don't see how it's that huge of a stretch considering I spent most of last summer in Moscow. Compared to Russia, America is morbidly obese. It's why the OP's boyfriend said what he did and it's why my Russian friends say what they say. Truthfully, I really couldn't give two ***** what any of you think when I'm just stating things from my personal knowledge.

muffinsareyummy 1

Also, just thought I'd add, you guys are reaching so ******* hard with how I apparently use the word sadly. Christ on a cracker.

lol im proyd to be an american. good metabolism mofo

perdix 29

Tell him everyone expects him to be a drunk communist. But, seriously, folks . . . you've got a "very handsome, fit" boyfriend who says don't worry about being a little overweight? I fail to see where the FML is here. Just don't gain any more weight ;)

Couldn't agree more! This is neither an FML or a YDI for that matter.. Be glad he at least puts out effort to try to make u feel better, trust me, he could've said/done a lot worse!

Yea. You are lucky he didn't dump you. And I think it was meant as a joke

shade609 0