So brave

By baller12 - 03/02/2009 15:25 - United States

Today, I finally got the guts to walk out of class 30 minutes early, only to find that the back door was locked. As I stood there like an idiot trying to get it open, all 200 people in my class turned to laugh. My professor stared at me. I then walked back to my seat, sat down, and unpacked. FML
I agree, your life sucks 10 288
You deserved it 38 668

Same thing different taste

Top comments

why would the door be locked from the inside?

I only know this because I'm an architecture student, but pulling the door wouldn't have gotten him very far. Fire code requires that all exit doors in assembly rooms (100+ people) swing outwards and have crash bars on them in case people panic. Fire code also states that no exit doors can be locked from the inside, but I could see a professor or TA being a jerk and doing that. But seriously, who leaves class early? I can see getting there late, but you kind of single yourself out for ridicule when you leave early.

Comments

flyingdjs 0

yea.. .sometimes i struggle with doors too... sad life when i thought a door was locked walk 10 steps and find some random person open the same door.... i guess we're just door challenged.

FunWriter20 0

This is always one of my fears! Bummer, yo. I probably would've just walked to the front door and muttered something about a doctor's appointment.

Hahahaha, you gotta laugh at these embarressing moments!! I know it'd probably take me a couple days though lol.

laptoptimusprime 0

Sucks to be you!! Seriously, though - were all the doors leading out locked? If so, you are one lucky person, because you have grounds for a lawsuit, as well as making it class-action. If not, tho, it was just an embarrassing moment you can at least laugh at when/if you ever have grandkids.

I only know this because I'm an architecture student, but pulling the door wouldn't have gotten him very far. Fire code requires that all exit doors in assembly rooms (100+ people) swing outwards and have crash bars on them in case people panic. Fire code also states that no exit doors can be locked from the inside, but I could see a professor or TA being a jerk and doing that. But seriously, who leaves class early? I can see getting there late, but you kind of single yourself out for ridicule when you leave early.

I've actually had two separate quarters when my voice masterclass (I'm a music major) overlapped with another class. I generally compromised by leaving my other class early when I had to perform in masterclass and going to masterclass late when I didn't, so there are actually some perfectly good reasons to leave a class early. Doesn't sound like that's what the OP was up to. They should also keep the door unlocked so that if people feel randomly nauseous or have panic attacks they can get out.

That's actually a fire hazard, if the door was locked. You need to contact your school about that. They could get in ALOT of legal trouble over that. But, I wouldn't recommend trying to escape class early again unless its a real emergency.

MukyDaCookie 0

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

You should have asked him how to open the door.