Size isn't everything!

By Franklin - 18/12/2017 19:00

Today, I attempted to threaten my daughter's boyfriend to keep him from breaking her heart. I'm a 230-pound former soldier. He's a karate black belt. My family watched me get beat up by a 120-pound teenager. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 338
You deserved it 7 910

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Wow so many lessons here! (1) Think very carefully before threatening anyone - What comes next? (2) People are not always what they look like. (3) Let your daughter work through her own relationships before you get involved.

TeachAllTheMath 19

What hurts more? Your body or your ego?

Comments

Wow so many lessons here! (1) Think very carefully before threatening anyone - What comes next? (2) People are not always what they look like. (3) Let your daughter work through her own relationships before you get involved.

Jeremy Strang 7

With all those witnesses, he should probably have you charged with assault. You stupid ass.

How stupid are you? Threatening a teen. He could have called the police and pressed charges.

Friesian 7

As some one that dated an abusive asshole in the past, i learned it takes a lot more than simply calling them and telling them someone threatened to beat you within an inch of your life.

I dated an emotionally abusive prick. I know the struggles but having people supporting you and not threatening your abuser is the best option.

What were you trying to accomplish? Forcing him to stay in a relationship he didn't want to be in, by intimidating him? Your daughter being in a relationship with someone who didn't want in it, and was only with her because her dad threatened him? So many things wrong with this. I hope this has taught you to stay out of her business. She needs to learn to get her heart broken, deal with it, and rebound from it. Be there for her when that happens. That will help her out a lot more in life than "protecting" her from being hurt.

TeachAllTheMath 19

What hurts more? Your body or your ego?

PancakesMcGee 7

Ego by a large margin I am sure.

You do know that a “black belt” basically means beginner (that he’s demonstrated he knows all the basic forms).

PhantomCrevan 8

It doesn't just mean they "know" the forms, it means that can use them fluidly and without thinking, and have spent at least two years with lessons multiple times a week with it being far more common for someone who attends the class twice a week to take five years to reach first dan. It takes around twenty years to reach fifth dan, which is the lowest level that means the practitioner is considered a master. Meaning that someone who started lessons when they were a child (and some sense I will allow children as young as age four to study at their dojo) could very easily be a master in the style they learned in their early 20's. However, the ranks go all the way up to tenth dan-or what is called a tenth degree black belt in western countries- which is someone who has created and largely perfected a new and unique martial arts style. So yeah, the kid could in fact be a master, and OP just didn't know what dan he was ranked at.

Your daughter is going to get her heart broken; it happens. She will live. Unless she is being physically harmed or her safety is threatened, maybe you should stay out of her relationship issues. Total YDI

sadjaysfan 5

Even though he is a black belt, that is really sad. A 110 pound difference in a small space should of easily been enough. YDI, not only for being an idiot, but for also putting up a fight that only your mother can be proud of.

Mungolikecandy 19

Threatening violence is a stupid thing. Anyway, is that 230 fat, as karate is fine but not necessarily good in a street fight and I would think someone combat trained would be able to defend themselves?