Promise

By thiswouldhappen. - 17/03/2009 02:19 - United States

Spicy
Today, my dad gave me a promise ring on my one-year anniversary with my boyfriend and made me swear I would wait until marriage. Four hours later, he walked in on us having sex in my bedroom. FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 666
You deserved it 265 768

Same thing different taste

Top comments

why do parents think a ring will convince their dear daughter to keep her leg closed? it never works.

And that is why you don't do it in your parents' house.

Comments

starshine3987 0

MADE you SWEAR you wouldn't? What kind of idiot is he? You are a human being. Not a slave or a robot he can control. What the hell is wrong with some people's thinking processes? If anything he should be embarrassed for acting so possessive, immature, and above all naive. Not to mention just plain stupid. Buying a promise ring for your daughter who WANTS to wait is one thing, but spending money on something you well know someone may not want is throwing your money away. Your life dear is not ******, your fathers ideology is.

squeaky_fml 0

It was bound to happen. The timing just made it ironic. Parents are oblivious. My mother gave me the sex talk when I was 19, after I had already been sexually active for four years. During that time I'd had a relationship that lasted 2 1/2 years. I couldn't believe my parent's would think I was still a virgin after that. You can't make anyone else want to be chaste.

squeaky_fml 0

The people saying she should have been honest.... yes, under ideal situations she should have been, but if I'd been honest about sex when I was a teen, I would have gotten grounded for a long time. That situation doesn't exactly promote honestly. Since she said her dad "made" her, I suspect it was that sort of situation.

wrestler_fml 0

You had 2 options: Either tell him straight up you were probably going to have sex sometime, or tell him you can't make that promise because something could come up (not that youre saying you would but maybe), or take the promise and then never have sex with him until marriage. You opted the worst option, which isn't even ON here- you said to his face you wouldn't have sex, you PROMISED, and then you lied. And you probably broke his heart and damaged his future sex life all in one crucial moment. ...Good one. With that said, what did your dad expect?

wench 0

I feel sorry for your poor dad. He was doing something sweet by showing that he trusted you and he bought you a present and you threw it in his face.

Fact of the matter is, whether it's too hard to admit to your father to having sex or not, if you make a promise not to do it you don't then go do it a few hours later in his house while he's home. Everyone can argue the validity of promise rings and waiting, or just trying to force your own morals onto other people, but you take all that stuff away and that's still the bottom line. If it was too uncomfortable for her to tell her dad she's sexually active it means either she's scared of his reaction to the truth or she doesn't want to disappoint him. Having sex in his house in that same day contradicts either of those reasons, and that's why this is a YDI and not a FML.

i dont think its that big of a deal, you didnt feel comforable telling your dad or parents its not that big of a deal, but with him walking in on you guys is pretty embarrassing.