Pennies on the dollar

By pizzalady - 22/01/2017 20:00

Today, while delivering pizza I was yet again given $0.04 over the total bill and told condescendingly to "keep the change." This happens on every shift. My pay is reduced during deliveries, and I drive my own car, and use my own gas. For $0.04. FML
I agree, your life sucks 8 057
You deserved it 794

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Can someone explain why pizza places don't simply add a delivery charge?

Its not about that, its mostly that people dont know just how much someone depends on those tips to actually make a living wage. I would never know there was such a thing as being a pizza driver with your own car and your own gas since there is no such thing in my country. Tips are also considered extra in my country since everyone hired legally earns at least minumum wage regardless of tips.

Comments

zeusdom 15

That seriously sucks. I don't understand people who don't tip. It may be their job to give you your food and drinks or bring you your food but good service isn't common and should be appreciated by the customer.

Its not about that, its mostly that people dont know just how much someone depends on those tips to actually make a living wage. I would never know there was such a thing as being a pizza driver with your own car and your own gas since there is no such thing in my country. Tips are also considered extra in my country since everyone hired legally earns at least minumum wage regardless of tips.

jedikenny 7

I feel like that's how it should be done everywhere.

gigamild 0

A lot of places do actually have a delivery charge. The charge at my store is $2.75, and per each delivery completed the driver recieves $1.75 and the rest of it goes to the store. Even with this extra cost it's still highly unlikely that we'd make minimum wage and thus we still rely on the tips.

Can someone explain why pizza places don't simply add a delivery charge?

Most Pizza chains do. they add $2-3.00(delivery fee) that goes to the drivers. wouldn't know about family/local pizza joints though

usnwife 18

The delivery fee charge isn't a tip most places though, it will say (in fine print) that the fee does NOT go to your driver so please still tip them.

usnwife 18

that the *delivey fee doesnt go to the driver, I got distracted, then couldnt edit. Tip goes to driver, delivery fee does not

They do add delivery charge but it doesn't go to the driver's. The company keeps it.

Yeah, papa johns charges what, $3?? Only 0.50 cents of that goes to the driver.

OK then. Why not give it to the driver? Or if they "need" it to recoup costs, why not make it bigger so it also pays for the driver? Trying to guess how much you're supposed to tip without looking like a cheapskate and also not ripping yourself off isn't a good customer experience. Which is why I don't order delivery (and why I didn't know some places tack on a charge).

OK then. Why not give it to the driver? Or if they "need" it to recoup costs, why not make it bigger so it also pays for the driver? Trying to guess how much you're supposed to tip without looking like a cheapskate and also not ripping yourself off isn't a good customer experience. Which is why I don't order delivery (and why I didn't know some places tack on a charge).

It's not hard to figure out.... 20% just like a real restaurant.

Some do, but they are usually for areas considered "risky" or borderline far away.

There are usually delivery fees. The company keeps it. It is not an included gratuity.

Why on earth is your pay lowered during delivery??

nrdemon22 0

Papa John's delivery driver here. It's lowered because we have the possibility of getting a tip is there. They also tax the credit card tips. Regardless it's a reasonable job if you close on a holiday like new years. I received a single tip of $220.00 and then some for an order. They don't cover vehicle maintenance though, and that can be rough sometimes.

If you drive for work you can almost always deduct a certain amount of car expenses on your taxes. You can go by actual costs incurred (gas, mainintenece, etc.) and deduct a percentage of that, or I think the going rate is 57 cents per mile logged doing work-related things. This is in the US and I am not an expert.

A delivery charge is not a tip for the driver, though they may get a cut if their wages are decreased for delivering. A handy way to calculate food delivery driver tips: (Total bill - tax - delivery charge) x (30 / delivery minutes past 30)) x 25%. So if your bill is $37 including 5% tax and $3 delivery fee, and it takes 40 minutes to arrive, you'd tip ($37 -$3 - $1.62) x (30 / 40) x (0.25) = $6.07 More food to carry = bigger tip, and faster delivery = bigger tip.

Hate to break it to you, but as a former Papa John's manager, long delivery times are never the drivers fault, so you shouldn't tip them less. It's usually the insiders faults for messing up the pizza or the managers fault for understaffing.

Kristoffer 35

This is exactly why I never tip pizza delivery drivers less than $5.

SKYstlimit 11

told "condescendingly" or maybe, just maybe, they don't think about it, can't be bothered collecting the change from you and have ordered pizza cus they're being lazy. they're not being condescending or looking down at you, they're not thinking a guy delivering pizzas is any less, they just assume you're being payed appropriately for your job.

This probably won't show up, but I'm responding to SKY. I think the FML here is less that the person said "keep the change" and more that the person thought the change, in this case a meager $0.04, would be a sufficient tip. "Keep the change" is only acceptable to say if you paid more that was necessary and you're indicating that you've done that on purpose. The man in this case paid technically enough to cover the bill, but fell short as custom and common courtesy dictate. So in essence, the man didn't pay enough, then followed that up with the phrase, "keep the change."

It's obvious when someone doesn't understand how the system works. They get a pass. But when someone gives me $19 on a $18.97 bill and says "The rest is all for you buddy" it becomes clear that they know exactly what they are doing. People do this regularly and it's far more common than with people who dont understand how it all works.

If I'm being charged a delivery fee I do not tip as that 3 extra bucks was your tip... don't charge people 3 dollars to have shit delivered when they're already spending 20-30 bucks and expect an extra charge per the store and then a tip... nope not out of my hands.... if a place does a delivery charge regardless of where it's going that in itself is a "tip" in my opinion and the driver won't get one.

You could also drive your happy ass to the place and pick it up and not deal with a delivery fee or tip

So, even when you know it's not going to the driver you consider it a tip? That's completely illogical.

This is FML, not Mensa... expect room temperature IQs.

The delivery charge isn't even a tip and if those extra $3 were, then you're an asshole for giving a shitty tip.

You know, not everyone has a car to just go drive and pick it up.

If you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to get delivery.... or eat at a place that that tipping is customary.

Then they can pay someone for doing something they can't do/don't want to, not too hard to understand hm? The pizza costs for that. The pizza. A 3$ delivery fee, even if it went to the driver, is bullshit.

Delivery charges don't go to the driver, at best it's $.50-.75.... stop being a cheap lazy piece of shit. Tip or go pick it up.

You should get delivery then. These drivers don't get the $3.00 that's being charged for your convenience. If you don't want to tip the person than don't be lazy and order delivery. These folks also have mouths to feed. These folks also have to pay higher insurance premiums to get your food to you, on top of putting gas in their vehicle, getting frequent oil changes and regular maintenance. If you can't afford to tip, you shouldn't order out.

I hope you get a stroke of luck soon and manage to get out of that job. I don't think you should have to rely on tips to make a living wage, they should be a nice bonus for a job well done. Your employers suck :(