Opening gambit

By Anonymous - 30/03/2022 14:00

Today, I, a 40 year-old who has been playing chess for over 25 years, was beaten by my own 12 year-old son. To make it worse, I actually fell for the Fool’s Mate, which to those who don’t know is the shortest possible checkmate in chess that only involves two moves. Yes, TWO MOVES. FML
I agree, your life sucks 389
You deserved it 1 038

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Id rather be proud than upset at myself. Seems like youre looking at it the wrong perspective.

Your kid might be a chess master some day. Stop whining.

Comments

Id rather be proud than upset at myself. Seems like youre looking at it the wrong perspective.

Your kid might be a chess master some day. Stop whining.

You pretty much have to walk into the Fool’s Mate. Either you did it on purpose or you completely fell asleep at the wheel. Either way, you pretty much knew what you were doing.

Playing chess for a long time doesn't guarantee you'll get good at it. You have to study chess to get good at it. Most people find that part too boring and stay bad at the game.

dragonladiesfire 19

That's one way to look at it.... Another way to look at it is that you've taught him well. I would be proud that you're son and you have a shared interest and can spend time with another. I would also be very proud that he was able to do that move on a master such as yourself.

Habacadavarus 12

You are definitely feeling that. Hopefully you remember that you are human and allowed, even if not condoned by others, to make mistakes.