Not a good sign

By DeepFriedZombie - 09/08/2016 00:18

Today, I went to my first job interview. I didn't think I was doing too badly, until the interviewer said, "Wait a second, you're in high school?" I explained that the guy who'd called me had said that this wouldn't be a problem. I then watched as my interviewer left his desk to "deal" with him. FML
I agree, your life sucks 16 061
You deserved it 1 169

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Wow. Major fail in that dude's part. Don't worry, OP. I'm sure there'll be other jobs out there, just keep at it. Maybe you and that guy can look for jobs together.

That was their screw up, not yours. Don't let it deter you trying to be a responsible teenager :).

Comments

This actually happened to me before. I sat in the office and I thought all was going well until he asked me about my schooling. When I told him I was in high school, he told me they don't hire high schoolers. I then told him that the lady on the phone said it would be alright. Was it for a company called "vector marketing" by any chance?

Geckosrock99 33

Every one I know that worked for Vector Marketing hated it. I think you dodged a bullet.

lmao vector marketing is little more than a scam! look them up online and on the bbb site

depending where your from they're not allowed to not hire you based on age in Canada I know that's the case

It is not age discrimination. As a high school student, they are restricted to what hours they can work. A high schooler will not be able to be scheduled between the hours 9-3 on a weekday, which a lot of jobs require.

so you were too young or didn't have the right degree?

Basically, they just wanted workers for particular shifts. Unfortunately, those shifts ran during school hours ?

While that is unfortunate, if the interview was indeed going well, maybe they will keep you in mind or offer you a different position...?

buttcramp 21

Don't give up, OP! Maybe that won't be the job for you but working through high school is very mature. Be proud of yourself anyways!

It's probably just because they don't want to deal with the child labor laws. Don't worry about it op you'll find a job :)

I wonder where you applied because I work at my local grocery store with a few of my friends and I'm only 15

If you're 18 it shouldnt matter, otherwise you need a work permit issued from your school (unless you're working for immediate family) that says you can work legally. without knowing ho old you are it's hard to say what the problem actually was.

And yeah, there are restrictions during the school year, but during the summer you're limited to a certain number of hours a week (less than or equal to 40 usually) but you arent limited on when you can work. Ask about summer positions.