Nervous?

By Ashley - This FML is from back in 2012 but it's good stuff - Australia - Gold Coast

Today, I met my boyfriend's parents for the first time. They jokingly asked me if I was only with him for his money. I didn't hear them properly so I just smiled and nodded. They now think I'm a gold digging bitch. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 071
You deserved it 10 664

Top comments

KiddNYC1O 20

That's a pretty crappy joke for a first meeting. I find them to be the pretentious bitches. If they were joking, wouldn't they take your response as joking also?

Comments

By asking you that question the first time they met you, seems to me they answered there own question before they even met you. Who cares what they think at this point, your boyfriend knows you well enought to know why your with him. And his parents will realize one day that they are jerks for asking you that.

Agreed the parents definitely already made up their mind about op I just can't believe they had the audacity to ask her that in a non joking manner. Some people are just plain rude and no matter what op does in their eyes she will never be good enough; sorry op.

"They jokingly asked me..." Still rude, yes, but it does say they were joking. Sorry, OP, hopefully things get cleared up and they realize you just didn't hear them.

Why didn't you ask them to repeat what they said if you didn't hear them? You totally deserve it.

Never agree to anything if you don't know what you've been asked!

Why can't you just explain to them that you thought they said something different?

onorexveritas 23

YDI. why not just admit you didn't understand what they said?

That happens to me, but instead of blindly nodding in agreement I just ask them to repeat what they said. Maybe you should too.

Aww, that takes all the fun out of it. When you blindly agree to something, you never know what's going to happen!

Don't feel so, low. If they asked you that question, they should be ashamed in the first place.

YDI, if you don't understand ask them to repeat.

perdix 29

Be careful of the nodding and smiling when you don't understand what's being said -- you might end up wearing a Puffy Shirt! Actually, you answered the question correctly. If you were a gold-digging bitch (there, I said it!), you'd vehemently deny being a gold-digging bitch. By brazenly admitting it, you've just ****** with their heads. Well played!

hopsinlove17 26
SenselessPattern 12

Wrong. Two boulders with a pebble in between. O.O