Nervous?

By Ashley - This FML is from back in 2012 but it's good stuff - Australia - Gold Coast

Today, I met my boyfriend's parents for the first time. They jokingly asked me if I was only with him for his money. I didn't hear them properly so I just smiled and nodded. They now think I'm a gold digging bitch. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 071
You deserved it 10 664

Top comments

KiddNYC1O 20

That's a pretty crappy joke for a first meeting. I find them to be the pretentious bitches. If they were joking, wouldn't they take your response as joking also?

Comments

I used to do that, I've learned to ask "I didn't hear you right, so excuse me if I offend you, I don't want you thinking I'm a total prick." , or something like that.

For some reason, that seems like quite a long winded, time consuming, inefficient way of saying "Beg your pardon?" or "Excuse me?"

At-least your boyfriend has money :P.

I feel your pain, I do this all the time! I realize I should just ask what the person said, but then I get stressed out and nervous and by then the conversation has usually moved on. This easily could have been me...

xk75 4

Silence plus a polite smile and slight nod is the perfect response to any extremely rude, invasive, and inappropriate question.

foreveryoungever 2

Haha maybe the smile and nod technique doesn't work for every situation.

Next time just a 'sorry?' would probably do :)

I fail to see why idiots respond to something if they didnt fully understand it. YDI.

OceanBlueSea 12

Just say your were joking. Or tell them you didn't hear them correctly.