More proof the system is broken

By Anonymous - 27/06/2020 20:04

Today, my younger sister, who lives at home and worked 1 day a week at the gym, got her unemployment card. I work at a hospital, on the frontlines, with COVID-19 patients. I don't get hazard pay. She now makes more than me in a week by sitting at home watching Netflix, while I risk my life every day to help people. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 485
You deserved it 210

Same thing different taste

Top comments

pezvolante 9

I'm making more money on unemployment rn than I did on minimum wage at 40 hours per week. it's equally nice and ridiculous.

tounces7 27

Don't blame the people on unemployment. Blame the businesses who refuse to pay their essential workers any sort of hazard pay for working in this.

Comments

This kind of crap pisses me off. People that don't even try make more than the honest, hard-working people like OP - who is also risking her life. And if we keep handing these people everything on a silver platter, they'll have no incentive to get off their lazy butts and work. Self entitled people are on my list of humans I dislike the most.

In a few weeks the situation will change when the Federal provisions expire that hiked up the minimum unemployment pay. Hang in there OP this is temporary. In the meanwhile thanks for your frontline work during the crisis.

Let me guess, you live in the USA? Happy to be up in Canada where people come before profit

Lolo ✨ 5

This does suck and I am angry for all the essential workers who are putting lives on the line for no hazard pay and while people are being selfish and refusing to wear masks. Essential workers didn’t sign up to be martyrs, they have families too. However, we shouldn’t be upset with those on unemployment. It’s temporary. We should direct our anger at our incompetent president and selfish government that values money over human lives. If they paid us all to stay at home and took the necessary steps to prevent the spread in the first place, we would be in a much better place right now.