Just No

By KelseNM - 05/07/2020 14:02

Today, my future sister-in-law, who hasn’t even been engaged a week, informed everyone that the wedding is on December 19th, which is the due date of my first child. My brother won’t change the date and is making my family choose between his wedding or being at the hospital with me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 497
You deserved it 185

Same thing different taste

Top comments

DoctorPALO 14

Your due date is an estimate and may even change. They will make their choices regardless of your wishes. At least now you know what kind of person your brother is marrying and who is going to be wearing the pants in that relationship.

It is inconsiderate of your brother but odds of baby being born exactly on due date are only about 5 percent so unless the wedding is half around the world your family probably doesn't have to choose. Now if your husband would be going to the wedding instead of being with you, either at home or at hospital, that would be an actual FML.

Comments

First off, your SIL and brother are total jerks for stealing the limelight on your special day. Although trust me, you only need your partner when you're giving birth, for a bit of moral support. And even afterwards, it's hard to establish breastfeeding while creepy uncle is paying a visit.

Those of you commenting that the baby won't necessarily be born on the due date: you can't count on it not being born on the due date. She can't plan to go to the wedding: whether or not the baby is born by then, she will be exhausted and not at all the right shape to be able to wear a gorgeous dress, so there's precious little chance she'll be able to attend the wedding.

samomaha 17

I don't even understand this. She wants the whole family at the hospital for the birth? Why in he11 would anyone want that? That being said, it is kind of crappy of the brother and his fiancee. Seems to me it's not a case of them not wanting to change the date, but them saying to the sister, "We do NOT want YOU at our wedding." So sorry, OP but I have to agree, FYL

With the current state of the world, growing crotchfruit is not a cause for celebration.

Susan Yee 9

Let them go to the wedding. Your family can visit after the baby is born. They shouldn’t see your baby until at least she/he gets first vaccines anyway. I hope your husband doesn’t go though.

germananarchist 4

granted its a bitchy move but your more than likely not gonna have baby on due date. its more a suggestion date. my kids came 2 weeks n 3 weeks early. though itd be funny if everyone left the wedding to meet new baby

ojoRojo 27

One of my good friends was due on my wedding day (we picked the date before she got pregnant) and she still came to our wedding. Her baby was 5 or 6 days late. She used the wedding as an excuse to try to “dance the baby out” lol. I’m due with my first next month, and if the state is the pandemic doesn’t improve a lot in the next few months, you likely won’t be able to have more than one person in the hospital with you anyway. Not that it’s the right move for your brother and his fiance, but it might be a nonissue.

I’m due my first next month as well!

Yummi_913 18

1. They're assholes. Don't invite them to the hospital or baby's birthdays. Baby means nothing to them anyway. 2. The vast majority of first timers don't come on their due date anyway, but chances are you will be struggling so much at that point you couldn't attend the wedding even if you wanted to. 3. Are you sure you want them there anyway? Head over to some baby forums and you'll probably notice a theme of people regretting having company at the hospital. I'm super glad they only allowed me one support person/guest. 4. If covid is still going strong by then, which it may, you might not be allowed to have anyone anyway... but she also might not be allowed to host a wedding event.

I get the principle of it. Your brother and his fiancé are just plane inconsiderate planning their wedding around the time they know you’re due. Yeah it’s true you may not deliver that exact day.... but if he’s willing to force your family to choose between the two of you, then yeah... not cool.

regi13 8

Or you could plan go to the wedding and hope to go into labor in the middle of the ceremony/reception. 🤣🤣 Honestly I'm with the majority on this one, you think you want everyone there to show the baby off to right away but what you'll really probably want is sleep, sleep, food, sleep, and to snuggle with your baby alone.