Honest mistake

By Luke - 19/03/2013 09:59 - United States - Liverpool

Today, my department found out that we're getting a new supervisor for the third time this month. I joked about how we're like "the foster kid nobody wants." One of my coworkers burst into tears and ran off. I later found out that she had been a foster child and never once had a stable home. FML
I agree, your life sucks 38 505
You deserved it 30 126

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Perhaps it's because her ENTIRE childhood was terrible because she had no parents, no home, no one to give her love and support... You think maybe that's why?

Well, both FYL and YDI. You had no way of knowing that, but shouldn't say things like that around people you don't know well.

Comments

There's no way you could've known that! FHL is the real issue here.

If you imagine yourself in her shoes, you'll understand that the name you took isn't funny at all.

"Luke, I'm your father" - I suppose everyone knows that quote. So, am I the only one who thinks OP was trying to make another joke here?

I know the quote but just the username "luke" is kind of a stretch for you to assume an offensive joke out of it. OPs name could easily have been luke...

On the other hand, if OPs username was "LukeIAmYourFatherButMyCoworkerDoesntHaveOneHueHueHue" then yes I'd agree with you OP would be an asshat, but just "luke" is a stretch

#71 Most probably we'll never know. But ok, I've got you.

#54 Oh, come on! I was surprised by the question.

If OP becomes an FML regular like saaaaay OptimusVader *points down* and their name is not luke then feel free to come find me and rub it in my face haha

"Everyone knows that quote" -42 Umm, what "quote". If you are referencing Star Wars, he actually says "no, I am your father". But kudos on the over-active imagination.

Haha, okay see, that is also humour... But getting back to the point.. No one should blame or point fingers.. Yes in her shoes, obviously it doesn't seem that funny. But it doesn't mean OP deserved it.

Yeah, if you could go ahead move your desk to the basement, that'd be great.

thosedogtags 8

Well, you didn't know.. I mean, it's sad and I'd feel horrible if I had done something like that but I wouldn't worry about it OP. She'll get over it!(:

nkklllll 4

Oh glorious. Was not expecting an office space reference

thosedogtags 8

An office space reference??? I don't even... No, just no..

Comfort her with sex. It's the only thing that will fix it.

Genius!!!! I should come to you for advice as well.

Yeah, tell her you have an orphan in your pants that needs a good home.

skyeyez9 24

Buy her lunch and apologize. You didn't know her background, but its the best thing to do right now.

That was her being overly sensitive. It was a joke and she knew you didn't know. This is just my opinion but if someone still loses control over their emotions like that in public about a childhood issue, they need some therapy. Apologize to be polite, if you're that sort of person.

skyeyez9 24

We have NO clue what type of life she had in foster care! She could have been horrifically abused by her foster parents for all we know. Some foster people apply to be foster parents just for the extra money it brings each month. Its supposed to be used to help with caring for the kid, but it gets spent on booze, drugs and their own biological kids instead. While the foster kid is forced to sleep in the garage on a dirty blanket.And the comment made the feelings burst thru the surface. It isnt like she could help from reacting that way if it was traumatic.

skyeyez9 24

I have seen some people who had no business being foster parents. This guy I knew in high school and his wife are currently in prison for murdering their foster kid. They tied him up, gagged him, rolled his body in a sleeping bag and tied him to a chair in their closet for an entire weekend. No food, no water, no air conditioning (in summer). They went on a family reunion and even took the dogs...but left the kid. The poor kid died of heat stroke and detectives said his face and clothing was stained with tears for terror at being locked in the dark alone to die. The idiot foster parents assumed he would be ok since it "was only a few days." Carrol burned the child's body and tossed the remains. He had multiple foster kids and used them as a source of income. I knew him in school and he was one of those "weirdos" who was a poor student, and always in trouble. Plus bi polar.

skyeyez9 24

David Carrol was the murderer's name.

This opinion is not popular, but I agree, 26.

I agree with this comment. Yes, it's possible the coworker had a horrific childhood, but breaking down over a comment that wasn't even directed at her is being hypersensitive. People shouldn't have to walk on eggshells all the time. EVERYTHING is potentially offensive (look at the Internet!). If she is suffering that badly, she needs to get some mental help. Therapy would be a good start.

Youshould think before saying senseless things like that. Yoy u just might offend someone who was a foster child who had nobody growing up. Dick.

Yeah, it should be illegal to make jokes on other people's behalf. You are the dick here. This person obviously had no idea that this woman was an orphan, so they made a joke. It wasn't even in bad taste it was just unfortunate that there happened to be a person in the room who would take offense.

dee_89 7

She should get over it. shit happens !!!

She should actively work on moving past such trauma...not just "get over it." We all suffer at some point in our lives and it's up to us to come to terms with our lot in life. Some hurts are far more difficult to accept...such as never having loving parents and being an orphan.

dee_89 7

I would know about suffering in life . I was born in another country my mother had to leave to the U.S i never really had a stable home but lived in a country where pple get shot every two seconds. pretty shitty life And i dont complain about it i got over it ... Why cry and suffer for the same things from years ago?! I just dont see the point ... She is grown now she could make good choices and be a better person in life instead of thinking about the past. I might sound like a bitch but thats what helps because being a softie and crying over something you cant chanche is a waste if time

dee_89 7

Number 46 foster care is not that bad theres people that have nothing like in other countries theres no such help . No matter how ****** up your life is or gas been theres always some one that has it worse .

#141 - The fact that you were able to move past your experiences gives you NO RIGHT to demean someone else's. Everyone reacts to things differently and for you to expect others to "get over it" just because you did is woefully ignorant and insensitive.