Hello goodbye

By mydatinglifesucks - 15/06/2014 06:31 - United States

Today, I had a date with a man who works as a psychiatrist. He diagnosed me with borderline personality disorder during dinner. FML
I agree, your life sucks 49 845
You deserved it 6 792

Same thing different taste

Top comments

At least he didn't charge you, who doesn't love free things?

Comments

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
friedpwnadge 25

Sounds like he prescribed you a moderate dose of NOPE. But in all seriousness, if he's that good at identifying problems then maybe he's also good at dealing with them. You never know until you try.

1dvs_bstd 41

oh the pressure of writing the numero uno comment.

brettrb 18

You are unworthy of the 1st comment. For shame!

1. A first date isn't 5 minutes. 2. Borderlines are easy to spot with any real clinical experience. 3. The biggest problem with borderlines and misdiagnosis is letting them believe they are bipolar. I've seen a lot of irresponsible misdiagnosis, but in a decade in the field I have NEVER seen someone diagnosed borderline that wasn't borne out by a thorough assessment.

I meant to vote up for this but accidentally voted down :/

incoherentrmblr 21

Supposedly, a well trained/experienced psychiatrist needs a minimum of an hour to analyze someone...

50, I was assessed for maybe 15 minutes, diagnosed with BPD. Which ended up being the wrong diagnosis. Also, I find it disgusting that you have supposedly been in the field for so long and yet still don't know better than to refer to people as "borderlines". Just saying..

You'll never know what if he gets mad at her and sends her at mental asylum

He should've diagnosed you with ill-abled spelling disorder.

ravens42 8

I'm sure he's just a jerk! Don't take it too hard OP, I'm sure you'll find someone!

Or he might actually be trying to help her. She might be unhappy because of that and now that she knows she has it she can seek treatment and perhaps be happier.

and at the same time get a second opinion because it takes more than just one session to diagnose someone with a personality disorder especially seeing as he did it on a first date where she wouldn't have been completely her self.

#3. These generic, sympathetic comments are so dull. I want the time back that I've spent reading the same boring comments over and over on every FML.

He's no jerk! He gave her a free diagnosis! Usually you have to pay a lot of money for that.

I'm sure they're all just jerks! Don't take it so hard #3, I'm sure you'll find a non-generic comment eventually!

38 that's a scumbag thing to say. I don't care if you or anyone finds them dull. Sometimes sympathy is needed. I would hate to see you at a funeral. "I'm sorry for your loss-" "Shut up and make a joke already!"

That must have been an awkward rest of the evening......

Not really. OP got up and simply said, "The voices in my head are saying that you should get lost and I agree."

At least he didn't charge you, who doesn't love free things?

OP, FYL that man can't even put aside his work enough to have a normal date with you .

...Or she was borderline and the guy didn't want to go through the trouble.

1dvs_bstd 41

Usually 100/hr. Fortunately, he accepted OP's insurance and the date was on the list of covered expenses.

You are trying too hard, cakefete.

Look on the bright side, people pay tons of money to hear that stuff from shrinks. You got it for free.