Happy Birthday, Sweaty

By jezebel - 17/03/2011 14:43 - United States

Today, I got a call from the office telling me I was fired. When I asked why, my boss explained my mother called and told him I was in a "weak mental state." She thought she was helping me get off for my birthday. Now I have no job. FML
I agree, your life sucks 41 716
You deserved it 3 456

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I'd tell them your mom has no say in the matter, if they don't offer you your job back then tell them it's illegal to fire you based on something your relative says if that fails, file a complaint with the dol

Just explain to your boss that your mom is in a weak mental state.

Comments

Amazing. Your mother sure knows how to lie. FYL indeed.

thacutestbutton 0

yea mom would be giving me a check every two weeks til i found another job

I hope you did the right thing and kicked him in the nuts.

Tell them you're sorry but your Mom must have gotten to a phone in the mental hospital she's in and it won't happen again!

Do the same thing to your mom... she'll get the hint.

she owes you a sandwich. not sure if I spelt that right LOL

well what a bday present... happy birthday!!

bigmanj28 0

atleast your free for your birthday

I don't know about where you're from, but in Canada the labour laws state that you can't get fired because of a mental illness, or a "weak mental state". I'd check into it if I were you. Maybe you can get some kind of compensation for wrongful dismissal.

Most places are also smart enough (and/or are too paranoid of lawsuit) to allow any thing like that transpire over the phone. Consider how easily some older woman could just claim to be your mother and say that. Ignore the call and go in as usual, when they bring up that you're fired say "I'm sorry but I assumed that was a prank phone call, a highly regarded company such as ours doesn't strike me as the kind to take anything less than hard evidence as grounds for firing." At the very least you call him out to making them say "We got a call from someone claiming to be your mother saying you weren't qualified for the job so we fired you" which doesn't stand up well in court.

oh mothers they try... and fail horribly