Hangry

By Geckosrock99 - 20/07/2016 05:58

Today, my iguana tried to eat my hand. Taking that as a sign of being hungry, I gave him a bowl of fruits and veggies. After he finished the bowl, he tried to eat my hand again. My iguana's an asshole. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 273
You deserved it 1 849

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Geckosrock99 33

Hey, OP here. So what happed was I was sitting on my bed watching anime when my iguana climbed up and sat next to me. I thought nothing of it as he likes watching cartoons. I was totally into the show (Twin Star Exorcists) and was pretty surprised when I felt the bite. He did very little damage, just two teeth sized little holes. After washing up, I gave him a mix of collard greens and a peach with his reptile calcuim on top and he ate everything. Guess he thought my finger was a peach, because he nibbled it. Same hand, only a little damage. He's a good boy when he's not trying to eat my hand/fingers. I think he got that habit when I was hand feeding him to help fix his behavior problems. He's easier to read now that he trusts me, but he associates fingers with food a little too much, even if his food is in a bowl. I used asshole in an endearing way, since he will knock things off my dresser, escape the safety of my room, and make messes where he isn't supposed to, on top of trying to eat my hand/fingers. I love him anyway, mischief and all.

Comments

GoogieWithers 22

Hey Op, I didn't read through all the comments, so I don't know if it was posted, but is your iguana a male? I believe all male saurians (lizards) pick up on the pheromones emitted by females. They all recognize this and some will very likely attempt courtship and breeding. Lizards bite and mate rather aggressively. Be on guard for behavior changes as the lizard matures ;-)

Geckosrock99 33

Iggzilla is a male, yes. He hasn't tried mating with anything that I've seen, but I know he's tried mating with a few plush toys as I've cleaned up the mess.

It's actually amazing what I learn on FML some days.

He's NOT an asshole. He was trying to tell you something dude. Reptiles aren't good pets BECAUSE they don't communicate with us. They know TWO things....1)YOU FEED THEM and 2) YOU FEED THEM. So if he's hungry staring at his bowl won't tell you that. ALSO since you fed him a peach YOUR fingers smell like that fruit. Wash your hands dude. Lol wild iguanas are SOMETIMES carnivorous....NOT that he is. Hopefully he's never tasted blood or you're about to have a serious issue ;)

Geckosrock99 33

Regardless of what my hands smell or taste like, he will try to eat them as he associates them with food. But I'd rather get an eating bite than an angry bite as its a lot less aggressive. You sound a bit like someone who has either never owned an iguana or never tried to get to know one. I suggest getting to know one, its very rewarding. They have personality just like any other animals. I will admit that reptiles can be intimidating, especially if you can't read their body language. Too many people see Iggzilla as a reptilian monster when he isn't.

I don't think your Iguana is a veggie anymore.

Ilovemusic237 19

Maybe he was trying to tell you he was still hungry?

Your iguana is basically a sentient meme

It might be breeding season. I've heard of that happening before.

poolenchantress 5

Iguanas, especially young ones, will readily eat a little protein now and then. Your hand twitching on the bed next to him made him think of a bug or small animal. He might appreciate, and benefit from, a little variety. You can buy meal worms or wax worms at any petstore that caters to exotics.

I wonder what ever happened to that saying "don't bite the hand that feeds you"...