Duped

By rippedoff - 04/03/2010 14:09 - Australia

Today, I found out that the man who sold me my car 6 months ago lied about it being "recently serviced" and "in excellent condition". It actually hasn't been serviced in years, and fixing all its problems is going to cost me $900 more than what I paid for the car. FML
I agree, your life sucks 12 212
You deserved it 29 875

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That's why you always ask if you can have a mechanic look it over for you before you buy it. I'm completely ignorant about cars, and even I know that much.

rule #1 about buying used cars, ALWAYS ALWAYS have AT LEAST 2 different mechanics inspect it before you buy it! and NEVER use the guy the car owner suggests because they could have worked something out with them in advance

Comments

Hmm FYL, but those are kinda vague terms. The shady salesman probably won't get in trouble. God next time do more research before jumping into a big purchase like that ><.

This is not an FML this is a case of you being to stupid to buy a car next time bring an adult along or someone smart enough to suggest taking the car to a service station before you buy it

electricvoices17 0

should've asked for the CarFax... it's ur own fault.

Crazybae 0

You should have went to car facts !

ok not all records show up at on carfax. I know this for a fact. I bought my car had the carfax took it to the mechanic everything was fine. about a week later I took it to hyandai for a oil change and another inspection and found out through hyandai's service records that the transmission was replaced. Then 6 months later the transmission went again I am currently working with the bbb it try and get compension through hyandai after they didn't help me so...fml

to those who said the car cost $900: the car's price was not posted ppl!!!! the op said: 900$ MORE THAN WHAT HE/SHE PAID FOR. get it????????

UWBeautyQueen12 0
UWBeautyQueen12 0

You should take the time to carefully check out its condition before spending that much money. If you don't know what to look at, then take it to a mechanic who you trust. If there are problems you found with the car after owning it for six months, chances are that the problems weren't there when you bought it, or were something the previous owner didn't know about either. If he had deliberately covered up an issue, you would have found out about it before six months passed. The fact that it took this long makes it sound like it is either a new issue that just occurred, or it is a problem that the previous owner didn't realize the car had. If you didn't notice anything was wrong with it in your first six months of driving it, what makes you think the seller knew something was wrong with it? It's a used car. Expect things to break. Private party car sales are almost always "as is" condition with no warranty. Everyone who is saying to sue the seller doesn't know what they're talking about. All he has to do is say he sold it in "as is" condition with no warranty, and you're SOL. Or, he can say the car was fine when he sold it, and the problems occurred in the past 6 months of your ownership. You can't concretely prove that they didn't. Also, if the repairs are going to be that expensive, take it to another mechanic and get some different quotes on it. Chances are, whoever gave you that repair estimate realizes you're very gullible, and is inflating the cost. Get a few estimates on it, and bargain with them. Ask them exactly which parts are broken. Look up the pricing on those parts online, and make sure their prices are similar. Get the factory service manual and look up how long each part replacement is supposed to take, and make sure they're not billing 6 hours of labor for a 1 hour job.