Cough up

By Anonymous - 19/03/2016 12:30 - United States

Today, my roommate used my PC without asking. Long story short, it's now infected with ransomware. The dissertation I've been working on for months is now encrypted, along with all the backups on my second hard drive. Now I have to pay the hackers $1,500 to get the decryption key. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 467
You deserved it 2 118

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Have your roommate pay the ransom, that is incredibly stupid. Hopefully you can find a way to track down those assholes.

That really sucks for you, but there is password protection for a reason. To keep unauthorized people especially family and room mates from using your computer without asking.

Comments

Why are you paying anything? He got the ransomware on there so he should have to pay to get it off.

Keep the latest version of everything important on USBs! I learned that one the hard way.

Once you get that pesky notification gone (boot into safe mode with networking), you can download a utility called ShadowExplorer which will let you browse through your windows restore points, and if you're lucky it'll be there unchanged.

that sucks diarrhoea infested, fly swarming, maggot crawling goat's ass

lemonlaide 9

Make your roommate pay for it! Even if you're trying to be nice it is their fault!

Passwords are a good idea, both on phones and pcs. And let that idiot of a roommate pay that.

At that point you mise as well get yourself a nice PC

HeyImAmy 20

You shouldn't pay hackers anything because they want your money. You need to take your laptop to a place like GeekSquad at Best Buy and have your roommate pay for the repairs.