A liar AND a cheapskate

By Anonymous - This FML is from back in 2015 but it's good stuff - United States - Fort Myers

Today, I was at K-Mart and saw an exact copy of my engagement ring for twenty bucks. The same one that had supposedly been in my fiancé's family for generations, and worth thousands. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 253
You deserved it 3 143

Top comments

You never know, your engagement ring might actually be really special, and this might just be a cheap knockoff. Give your fiancé the benefit of the doubt

Wizardo 33

I don't get why such value is placed upon an object like that. A wedding ring is understandable, but expectations of expensive jewellery for an engagement are a bit outdated now.

Comments

If your issue is the value of the ring you got you probably shouldn't get married.

It's not about the value, it's that he needlessly lied about family sentiment. I wouldn't want to marry someone that started our engagement off with a lie about something so petty. Scree that.

I mean that sucks that you had to find out that way, but think about it. An engagement ring is only a symbol or representation of love and commitment. Truthfully a ring can be valueless in the sense of cash value but mean the word to the woman who has it. Just be thankful for what you have.

She should be thankful that he started their engagement and potential life long love with a lie? Yeah, no. I don't thinks so, it's not the value that's the problem it's the lie before it.

Tell him you are going to get the ring assessed for insurance purposes. The reaction could be 'Fine' or 'I lied'. If so it could just be he is feeling awfully ashamed at not being able to buy his wife the ring he really wanted to give her. Don't be to quick to judge him. But he needs to know there is rarely such a thing as a good lie.

If you are truly concerned about the ring, a pawn broker can give you a decent idea.

leogachi 15

@35 That's a really bad suggestion. Most pawn shops will downplay how much your things are worth, especially when it comes to jewelry, even if you have no intention of selling it to them.

BaDumTsss_fml 23

Why care so much about a ring when marriage and a relationship is about love???

leogachi 15

@36 Because he lied about it. He asked her to spend the rest of her life with him and started their future together with a lie.

Attacksloth 33

I'd say give him the benefit of the doubt. Time will tell you if your ring is cheap, because real gold will not go green or discolour or rust. I've showered and have done everything with my white gold wedding band on for my entire marriage and it's still as shiny as it was when I put it on my finger.

Honestly, I'd only be upset that he lied, not that it's cheap. I don't understand spending so much on a piece of jewelry. Spend that money on a house or a honeymoon or something that actually means something and is enjoyable for both of you.

So instead of having just a rock, you have just glass. Kick his ass for lying about it though

chocolatefrog28 29

Even if it is a Kmart special, isn't the meaning behind the ring more important than the ring itself? Real or fake, the person giving it to you is making a serious promise to you about (presumably) the rest of your lives together.

The problem is because he said it was one thing. It presumably is another. If he already lying about something from the very beginning, how does that show seriousness in anything? Assuming that it is fake, it shows that he doesn't care enough to tell her the truth and that lack of open communication will cause a marriage to fail. I would rather a man tell me the truth about a ring, or even that he can't afford one at the moment rather than lie and make up a story--make up a history about a ring. If that happened to me, I would never marry him. Because if he lies to me about something like that, what else will he lie about later on down the road?

neuronerd 28

How long have you been engaged? If you've been wearing the ring every day, even for just a month, the band would have become discolored if it's just fashion jewelry. That said, I'd be pretty pissed if my fiancé got me a $20 ring. As many said above, the ring is a symbol of commitment. Do you really think spending $20 shows "commitment?" If that's truly all he can afford, he is not financially stable enough to even consider getting married. This is by no means saying a man should have to take care of a woman financially, but he should be able to take care of himself. A $500 ring would be a different story. To anyone financially stable, that may mean cutting back on a couple luxuries for a month or so, but it wouldn't be a real burden.

neuronerd 28

Also, I already own a home that's 2/3 paid off. If I'm providing the house, he can afford a decent ring.

It's the marriage that's the commitment, not the engagement ring. I'd personally prefer a cheap engagement ring, because there are much more important things to pay for. I can't though, as I'm allergic to most cheap metals, so I'd rather not have one, and just get a wedding ring.

Badkarma4u 17

meh, I'd rather have a happy marriage. Money canmot buy that. Plenty of people who in your eyes are not financially stable enough to consider marriage have had much happier marriages than people who meet with your financial approval.So nope cash is not the key to a happy marriage. The ring is a symbol of "look at what my man got me. It has zero to do with commitment. Ask Kobe Bryants wife.