A liar AND a cheapskate

By Anonymous - This FML is from back in 2015 but it's good stuff - United States - Fort Myers

Today, I was at K-Mart and saw an exact copy of my engagement ring for twenty bucks. The same one that had supposedly been in my fiancé's family for generations, and worth thousands. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 253
You deserved it 3 143

Top comments

You never know, your engagement ring might actually be really special, and this might just be a cheap knockoff. Give your fiancé the benefit of the doubt

Wizardo 33

I don't get why such value is placed upon an object like that. A wedding ring is understandable, but expectations of expensive jewellery for an engagement are a bit outdated now.

Comments

Maybe you're shallow and he felt like he needed to live up to high expectations..but that's none of my business.

I would have thought OP was upset about potentially being lied to. But the need to mention it being "worth thousands" gives me the impression of her being shallow as well. Good luck to OP's fiance!!

Sometimes people like for no reason, dude. That's like saying it's someone's fault for being lied to about their significant other cheating on them. Sometimes people are just dicks.

You're right: it IS none of your business. As for what it says about OP's character - she's pissed off that her husband-to-be may very well have bullshitted her with a fake story of family sentiment out of cheapness.

And even if she is shallow, the fiance is still in the wrong for what he did. An honestly shallow person is better than someone who lies in order to get a shallow person.

I honestly didn't know k-mart still existed.

There are many things that have replicas and copies but are really just fake versions. Don't jump to conclusions right away and speak to him about it. Better yet, go get it valuated.

well go to the jeweller and find out if its real or not

I'm with most people here, don't jump to conclusions just because you saw a cheap imitation. Get it professionally valued and take things from there. If it's real, all is well, if it's fake then confront him about the lie. A follow up on this would be handy.

saffy66 34

Take the ring to a jeweller and ask for it to be valued. Then you'll know if he lied or not. Confront him if he did. The value of the ring isn't important. The lying is.

Get your ring appraised. It will put your mind at rest

the one you have is the original. the K mart one is a cheap knock off

Get yours appraised then you'll know for sure