A liar AND a cheapskate

By Anonymous - This FML is from back in 2015 but it's good stuff - United States - Fort Myers

Today, I was at K-Mart and saw an exact copy of my engagement ring for twenty bucks. The same one that had supposedly been in my fiancé's family for generations, and worth thousands. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 253
You deserved it 3 143

Top comments

You never know, your engagement ring might actually be really special, and this might just be a cheap knockoff. Give your fiancé the benefit of the doubt

Wizardo 33

I don't get why such value is placed upon an object like that. A wedding ring is understandable, but expectations of expensive jewellery for an engagement are a bit outdated now.

Comments

well this can go 2 ways maybe that is all he could afford or maybe this shows his true feelings about getting engaged

Could you not tell the gold and diamonds are fake?

kendallskakb 13

He was pulling all the cards to hope you'd say yes be happy

My husband couldn't afford a fancy ring, but did offer to buy me one from Tiffany's or something. I told him, no, I want an antique ring and took him to a pawn shop where he paid $99 for a ring I LOVED! He felt he was being cheap but when we took it to size it, we got it appraised and it was worth over $1200!! We thought it was a mistake, but had it appraised again at a different place and they came back with $1250. I told him it never mattered the price of the ring, but what it meant to use, so its perfect, even if it was worth $99. Just get it appraised and if it's cheap, talk to him about his lie.

Though it sucks that he lied to you (maybe) I would ask him about it and tell him to fess up. Maybe it IS a copy. The ring doesn't make the relationship work. However the lie definitely causes some issues. Confront him and ask.

Does it really matter how much it costs?

Some people are so ungrateful. It shouldn't matter how much its worth.

Aiden89 23

Was it a blue light special?