By Laurendorcus - 14/03/2010 23:13 - France

Today, I called out "personal" from work because I had to study for a major test that is taking place tomorrow. An hour later my manager called to fire me for "not taking work seriously", then I got an email that the test is being postponed. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 434
You deserved it 4 054

Same thing different taste

Top comments

glorbnakcs 0

I feel for you. One would think that having a test postponed is something to celebrate, but most of the time when that happened it just pissed me off.

You'd fire someone just because they called in for personal reasons? Really? Even if you didn't know what it was? If they were informed in the morning that some very important matter called them away from work (like a man's wife was having complications during labor, for example...), you'd fire them for calling in? I feel sorry for anyone who ever has to work under you.

Comments

glorbnakcs 0

I feel for you. One would think that having a test postponed is something to celebrate, but most of the time when that happened it just pissed me off.

Pball11 0

See chains of bad luck happen all the time for me too. Except mine are forgetting homework then stubbing my toe... You have it easy:P

glorbnakcs 0

How is losing your job "having it easy"? How do you know the OP wasn't working to earn money in order to pay back a loan shark? Now they have to worry about having their kneecaps shot! You inconsiderate bastard. God, fascists make me sick!

VolcomTL 0
yourlifesfucked 0

ok ima letcha in on a lil secret... people on the interwebz are... brace yourselves... sarcastic *shocker*

What virtually nobody seems to realize is that sarcasm doesn't work over the internet... Speaking of which...#19: I'm German. Do I make you sick now?

@subtext being german doesn't make u automatically facist or a Nazi. calling a German Nazi is like calling a black person a ******. and I am not saying u said anything about Nazis but i recurve this sort of ignorance from Americans all the time.

Hey, that was just a sarcastic reply because of the usage of the term fascist...

SeximusPrime 0

Because the postpone always went to a day you had other shit going on, right? Same here X(

bezach 0

I get my wrist cut by cats every hour...I want friends but everyone fears me, I'm hated for no reason and I think OP has it harsh you just think your special so everyone pays attention to you

BluPenguin 3

Ouch! Maybe you shouldn't have taken so many breaks from work beforehand! Orrr, don't wait until the last minute to study!

now you'll have plenty of time to study for that test, good job

loski87 4

agreed. typically when you get fired from work it's not because it was a 1x thing usually it's habitual. so sounds like ydi

murderface232 1

bad luck, my friend. at least you have more time to study now.

Yep. Just calling out of work for no specific reason except something "personal" is just not okay. If you had to study for a test why didn't you talk to your manager before to make arrangements? Or studied when you didn't have to work? If someone would just not come to work in this kind of situation and I were the manager, I'd be pissed too...don't know if I would fire that person (maybe not if it was the first time), but you still deserved that.

You'd fire someone just because they called in for personal reasons? Really? Even if you didn't know what it was? If they were informed in the morning that some very important matter called them away from work (like a man's wife was having complications during labor, for example...), you'd fire them for calling in? I feel sorry for anyone who ever has to work under you.

There are personal issues like this and then there are important personal issues. If I'd employ students one of the first questions I'd ask would be when they have examinations. If they call in for personal reasons the day before an examination, I'd automatically think "Hmm...did he slack off?" That would be a bad thing - first, because slacking off always leaves a bad impression and second, because it wasn't really honest. If someone doesn't come for personal reasons it is usually (and imho should stay that way) because something really important happened, something you probably don't want to ask about (right now). Sudden death of family members or your wife in labour...that is something entirely different. If someone doesn't want to/can't come to work because that person has to study, I would at least expect that person to ask "Hey boss, I have a problem. I have this examination tomorrow and I need more time to study...can I have a day off today?" It wouldn't change the situation, but it would be honest. This is a huge difference (at least to me). I wouldn't even say no then. But if that person doesn't have the decency to ask, I'd be asking questions. If it turns out, he/she slacked off, I'd be pissed. I wouldn't fire that employee directly (and certainly not via phone, which is both disgusting and illegal (at least here)) but if that happens more than once, there would be trouble ahead. Good, I sounded somewhat...extreme in my previous post, but still, it's work...not school or some fancy theme park.

ArbiterOfFML 24

So you telling me if you had a test, say for 40% of your grade, was busy working and requested a day off of work so you wouldn't bomb the test, you would be ok with being fired?

dirtyoldman27560 0

Calling in the day of does not qualify as a requested leave of absence. Managers will normally work with students to make a schedule which fits their needs, but that requires a little notice and discussion. People who have no regard for their coworkers and ditch work last minute deserve to get fired.

dude you totally deserved that. I'm so tired of students calling in because you have to study for a ******* test. why accept the job requirements if you can't be there.. and if not, ask for the day off in advance. If I were in your managers position I would have done the exact same thing.

yeah, that's how you run out of workers. managers are quite bad for demanding overtime from students and moaning when the students can't do it. he probably shouldn't have called in but being fired for it was a bit extreme.

rachexl 0

haha in this economy no employer has to worry about running out of potential employees

Yeah, 'cause teachers never inform students of a test only a few days in advance...right. For all we know the material was proving harder for OP then they anticipated and they needed extra time or something like that.

katrinasomething 0

The grammar on this FML is wrong... why hasn't Snickerdoodles posted on this? XD

sugarbabyxoxo 2

... bahaha that's sick! lol, German **** ftw. ahahah