You never know

By lolwut - 11/09/2014 06:33 - United States - Albany

Today, I saw my teacher using her phone in the middle of class, so to joke around with her, seeing as we're on pretty good terms, I said: "Using your phone in class? For shame." She looks me in the eyes and says, "Would it be ok if I told you I'm arranging my father's funeral?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 631
You deserved it 18 469

Same thing different taste

Top comments

schhichick 14

I feel so bad for your teacher! what a terrible thing to happen! On that note she should not bring it into the classroom. She should take a few days off to plan and mourn if needed. You were just trying to joke around but now I guess you know! It is just an all a round bad situation.

Everyday_Galaxy 14

There is no way you could have known that.

Comments

Either way, she still should not have done that during class. Not your fault OP.

Awkward.... Well you said you two are on pretty good terms so maybe she didn't think much about it! For shame OP lol jk!

Good terms or not that's not really an appropriate thing to say. Plus she may have wanted to keep things quiet and normal as possible by staying at work and you forced her hand to say otherwise. Maybe next time don't be a smartass.

Maybe next time, don't be so self rightous!

Because I wouldn't dare backchat my teacher? lol ok

It wasn't backchat, OP was JOKING!! It's called having a student-teacher relationship. If they weren't that comfortable joking with other, the OP wouldn't have said it, as indicated in the FML. Plus, how was s(he) to know his teacher's dad died when they said that?

Lil_Red777 21

I used to joke with my teachers like that when I was in school. And we'd both laugh about it.

amberv61 22

#14, OP did not force their teacher to do anything. If the teacher really wanted to keep things quiet she either would not have replied or tried to go along with the joke.

yet if a student was to say that, it being true or not, all hell would have broken lose.

Well a student doesnt usually plan the parents funeral...

She must not be too upset if she's still teaching and she's texting the funeral arrangements from her class, instead of being with her family to arranging the funeral together and taking time off to gather her thoughts and come to terms with her loss...I just find it really odd...

Not everyone has the financial ability to take time off to plan the service and attend the service.

Anonyma518 5

lolwut? I've never really seen any1 screwing work after death of any1.

So, you're saying if one of your family members passed away (God forbid) and your work wouldn't let you take time off you would just go to work as normal? I'm sorry, but if that was me, I would go to my family member's funeral, by hook or by crook, I wouldn't care if I lost my job, family is more important! Although, if a job doesn't let you take time off for those type of reasons, they're absolute dickbags and you're better off not being a part of their staff...

usually the spouse does it. either way, the teacher shouldn't have Been using her phone in class. one of my old teachers had to leave unexpectedly, our sub was our assistant principal...

Idk about in the US, but where I live, teachers get a lot of paid sick day from work. The teacher could've taken the day off to plan and mourn.

My my aren't we judgmental? Everyone grieves in a different way; when my grandfather died (and yes, I teach) I didn't take time off after because I felt like being with my kids would help me deal with it.

Yes but did you take your phone out in the middle of teaching a class and start texting about funeral arrangements? I'm not trying to be cold, but she has a lunch break, it's not appropriate to use time that you're being paid to teach for personal matters.

I don't get why everyone is saying the teacher was on her phone in the "middle" of teaching. She had probably taught the new stuff and was at her desk while the students where doing their work, or for all we know the students were reading silently or were watching a movie. When I was in school there were lots of times where the teacher was at their desk while students were working on their assignments. They are still there for help, but if a student isn't asking them questions or needing help I don't see why they can't be on their phone or their computer or even having a snack. It doesn't mean they're not doing their job. There job is to teach yes, but sometimes it's also to be there for help and sometimes the teaching isn't always speaking and giving a lesson.

How dare you even talk to your teacher like that?

ShadowlessSpear 21

Found the private school student

I'm not a private school student. You just don't talk to people who are not your friends like that. It doesn't matter if it's a friendly teacher, an older man on the street or your boss. You need to show some respect. If she'd follow that simple rule there would be no FML. No wonder education in the US is so bad if students are allowed so much freedom...

Did you know that people with humor tend to live longer? Definitely happier. Besides, teachers also have to follow the rules of the school - and 'no cell phone during class' is pretty standard. Personally, I think the teacher is at fault. You should never do such personal business while working - especially when pupils are involved. Not appropriate.

Teachers are people and have a sense of humour too.

johndog699 18

He was joking with her. he didn't know that she was doing that all he could have known was that she was on Facebook or something else

She shouldn't have called you out like that, obviously your intention wasn't for that to happen :/ she could have laughed it off and not said anything. Also unprofessional as she is in her place of work and shouldn't have even said that.

I agree with those saying there's no way you could have known - I had many teachers in which I personally or other students were on 'pretty good terms' and would tease each other, etc. I don't think you were out of line at all, and it is just an unfortunate, awkward situation. I find it very odd that someone would be making funeral arrangements over the phone to begin with rather than meeting with the funeral director in person along with family, especially for the death of such a close relative...and it's also a little unconventional that she wouldn't receive time off of work for her father's death. And finally, if someone were making such serious arrangements on the phone, would they really stop to answer you in that matter or wait to do it afterwards to explain? It doesn't seem to add up...

That's what I thought, at the end of the day you really do have to take this with a pinch of salt, because no matter what she was actually doing she was hardly going to look up and say "Would it be ok if I told you i'm arranging my friends bachelorette party?". Either way, texting in the middle of teaching a class is not appropriate, teachers do get breaks.

SuperMew 22

Likely texting family members to set up whatever needs to be done. She might not even be in the state.