You never know

By lolwut - 11/09/2014 06:33 - United States - Albany

Today, I saw my teacher using her phone in the middle of class, so to joke around with her, seeing as we're on pretty good terms, I said: "Using your phone in class? For shame." She looks me in the eyes and says, "Would it be ok if I told you I'm arranging my father's funeral?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 631
You deserved it 18 469

Same thing different taste

Top comments

schhichick 14

I feel so bad for your teacher! what a terrible thing to happen! On that note she should not bring it into the classroom. She should take a few days off to plan and mourn if needed. You were just trying to joke around but now I guess you know! It is just an all a round bad situation.

Everyday_Galaxy 14

There is no way you could have known that.

Comments

Oh...sure badmouth me. The OP was being inconsiderate. If the teacher had already given them the assignment its okay to look at their phone once or twice IDIOTS. Dont tell me that if you were a teacher that you wouldnt be on your phone. And the OP had no right to even ask the teacher that in the first place. Her classroom her rules.

Axel5238 29

Exactly, plus I'm guessing the teacher couldn't afford to take off. Teachers honestly don't make that much. Sick of the well I didn't know so oops mentality. That goes a long way in letting people get away with a lot of stuff. Friends or not that is still your teacher, what next people complaining about cops stopping speeders that they had to catch up to? Well the cop went past the speed limit they broke the law. Give me a break.

The OP was not being inconsiderate. OP was making a joke based off a typically strict school rule. Of course the teacher could look at her phone once or twice while the students are busy working, but that's still not the point. Besides, a lot of schools have similar rules for both the students AND teachers (maybe the only difference being that students can't use their phones at all, but teachers can use it when they don't have a class to teach). "Her classroom her rules"? No. The SCHOOL'S classroom, the school's rules. #102 You're sick of the "i didn't know oops" mentality? Don't tell me you're some sort of supreme being who's never had a foot-in-mouth moment or told a joke only to find out the situation wasn't appropriate. Don't be so self-righteous. Your analogy doesn't even fit the situation. A student made a joke about a teacher using their phone. Your "cop speeds to catch a speeding car" situation would only relate to a "teacher texts/calls student to catch them using their phone in class" situation.

Even if the teacher wasn't joking around, there's no way you could've known that happened, and she really shouldn't have said that to make you feel bad in front of the whole class

I would have looked her right in the eyes and said, that's what personal day's are for.

CaptainCore993 19

Why would she do that during class? If her father did die,she should not be doing that in class.

Jeez this sucks all the way around, but in no way your fault. The teacher could of easily replied it's a family emergency they needed to deal with and not something so dramatic. It's very unprofessional of them.

It was just bad luck! Your teacher should not be on her phone though regardless of her current situation you and the other students should be her first priority at that moment! xx

Not your fault. If she has to book her father's funeral she should, oh, I don't know, do it via phone call? Or at least not in the middle of her class? If she had to, she could take time off from work. Just seems like an odd situation.

Well that's actually just awkward lol but sad for your teacher.. So not your fault though, like everyone is saying

I can't believe everyone is asking why the teacher was doing this in class. It's HER classroom, and her father DIED. She's also the TEACHER! She makes the rules in the classroom, not the students. If she wants to be on her phone during class, let her be on her phone. If you have a problem with it, report it to the principal. This is why there are so many school shootings and the like; no respect for teachers anymore. I know there are some lousy ones out there, but that was kind of a family emergency that needed tended to. The students should be working on the assignment, not spying on their teacher.

This situation is certainly awkward, OP, but you have nothing to feel ashamed of, as you had no way of knowing.