You must be kidding me

By surfernerd6987 - This FML is from back in 2009 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, I received an email from a temp agency trying to hire me. Surprisingly, it was the same job I was just laid off from after two years of great employment. They were trying to hire me at half my original salary. FML
I agree, your life sucks 55 677
You deserved it 2 685

Same thing different taste

Top comments

theswarm666x 1

wouldn't that be a bit illegal? firing you just to pay you less? it is kinda indirect but still.

Take your job back, just work half as much and see what you can get away with.

Comments

proud_liberal 0

THIS SHOULD BE ILLEGAL!!! companies should not be allowed to lay off or fire people or lower their salaries. That's why we're in this mess!! rich white republican CEOs hoarding money and taking trips to vegas and firing people just because. Obama seriously needs to make a law against this. If firing people were illegal, no one would lose their jobs and green jobs would be added too so the economy would improve. This isn't rocket science people.

Take it, and do a half-assed job. That's the American way. (I think that's from Family Guy)

Totally normal... Better than them coming to you and saying something like "we can't pay you right now." then keeping you on and not laying you off... Better to at least have something!

Yeah well, that's happening to everyone right now. sucks but the companies have no money to pay you. You could always just not have a job at all like the rest of the world...

This SHOULD be illegal, but that doesn't mean it will be. Companies will lay off experienced workers and get younger, less experienced workers even if it means less productivity - it saves the company money in a short term period.

Once again depending where you are it is illegal some places... in bc for instance if you lay someone off you have so many months (not sure how many) that you can't turn around and hire someone for that position... doesn't even matter how much you're offering them or if you go via temp agency if you hire someone for a position someone was laid off in a company opens them up to government action due to violating labor laws and the employee can take action as well. Now where this person is it could be legal... i only know where i am it's illegal.

ShenziSixaxis 0

A similar thing happened to my brother's fiance before. She used to work with the city and was laid off. Some time later they called her wanting to rehire her with the same job for less. She decided to stay with MicroSoft and get paid more instead. =]

yati 0

Dude be happy you atleast got it. Something is better than nothing.