Trust

By CoA - 06/09/2016 11:40 - United States - Dekalb

Today, at my new job, I realized I have been spending too much time with just my cat. As I passed some coworkers in the hall, I nodded and gave them the "slow blink of trust" that is used with cats. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 084
You deserved it 2 885

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Burle 17

There's no such thing as spending too much time with your cat.

Comments

I would have been your friend if you slow blinked at me :)

What is the "slow blink of trust"? I've never heard of that

delfino1604 24

it's one of those things cats do to their human counterparts to show their trust in them. like showing their tummies or head butting.

It means they are comfortable enough to be relaxed and not alert around you. You wouldn't slowly blink at anyone you wouldn't trust, you try to keep watching them at all times.

What 30 and 32 said, plus returning the slow blink to the cat is much preferred to just making eye contact and staring, which they perceive as aggression.

....I've never done that to my cat. However, I have a lock on my bedroom door to keep my cat from just barging in, and when either me or my boyfriend accidentally locks the other out, we'll scratch at the door and meow because that's what my cat does. Then whoever opens the door will meow back. It's just silly fun, right? Except the other day I was at my cousin's and meowed at her when I opened the door. *shakes head*

GoogieWithers 22

Could have happened to anyone of us who owns cats, that is why people call us crazy.

I think it happens to a lot of us. This is the first I've heard of cat people doing it, but dog and horse people do it all the time. I've made the mistake of using "housebroken" when talking to people about potty training or little things like that from being with the dogs, but horse people seem to do it a lot and I'm guilty of it too. I frequently use one finger on my husband's hip and saying "over" to move him over a step so I can reach the garbage under the sink just like I would do to move my horse over from the ground. I learned the other day on a walk that my dog responds to "whoa" because I said it out of habit and he stopped. I've even clicked my tongue at them to get them moving faster. I think it happens because it becomes second nature to us to use it as part of our communication and I think it sticks because, a lot of the time, it works. My husband moves over, my dog stops, etc.

I have three cats. And I've had cats all my life. I do this a lot. Especially to children. I don't feel bad about it anymore. Haha.

I'm so glad I'm not the only person who does that! One of these days I'm going to meet someone who speaks cat...

It's ok. I do it too. They understand. Sometimes they get peeved when I call them with a clicking and whistling though..