By 00Evan - 05/04/2009 13:48 - Australia

Today, while working at a Subway store right next to a big hospital, there was a big line of people all getting their subs toasted. Without turning around, I asked the next person in line, "I'll bet you want yours extra toasted?" She was a burns victim from the hospital. FML
I agree, your life sucks 41 542
You deserved it 79 627

00Evan tells us more.

00Evan 0

Hey, I'm the original poster. I think comment #78 has the right idea - I wasnt saying it in a rude way, just sort of jokingly, since the last few people had all said toasted. Was just putting theirs in the oven and getting her order at the same time.

Top comments

Why bother making an assy remark like that in the first place, burn victim or not? What were you thinking? >_

Comments

average_girl 0

people read what he said- First off what he said wasn't really all that smartass-like. He was just making a comment based on what was going on at the moment. Plus, he also said he didn't see who he was talking to when he made the comment so he couldn't have really known. People, please read before you jump to conclusions and call this person rude and inconsiderate etc. Though I will admit that had to be awkward to some extent...

@52 I agree with you but regardless it was inappropriate from an etiquette standpoint. Regardless of what was said he should have actively engaged the customer first before he spoke at all. Just proper manners to look someone in the eye first before you start talking. 1) sometimes people won't know who you're talking to and 2) people may assume you aren't listening or engaged in the conversation to begin with.

woah what are the odds were they offended? the joke wasnt even that funny

I don't get it. Why would you assume the next person in line wants the sub extra toasted? It wasn't a joke, was it? If it was, I fully don't get it.

SpunkT 0

Also everyone saying "you should have looked first"... have you ever worked at a busy place? Sometimes you start talking before looking. It's not rude, deceptive or any other bullshit, it's just efficient.

00Evan: out of curiosity, what hospital is this?

Open mouth, insert foot. As long as you weren't being sarcastic when you said that, I really don't see a problem with your attitude. It was just a mistake. But next time, maybe take the time to look up at the customer and greet them appropriately?

dudde i unno what to do laugh or be like your an ass thats hilarious! i feel sorry for u FYL for sure!!