By rabidfairy - 13/08/2014 02:04 - United States - San Francisco

Today, the man I have been in love with for years came to me with a beautiful ring and a heartfelt proposal. Too bad it ended with an eager, "So do you think he'll say yes?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 47 406
You deserved it 6 115

rabidfairy tells us more.

yes, you are correct. we've been friends since childhood and I've always known he was gay. just my luck that my heart would have none of it :/

Top comments

Comments

At least you didn't lose him to another woman

Like it could be worse to lose to another woman. Give me a break. Love doesn't descriminate in gender, no matter if it was a man or woman, OP is heartbroken and I don't see why a woman would be worse than losing to a guy as well as knowing he's gay and still hoping for a chance.

#19 I find your comment hilarious, and I for the life of me can't understand why people are so negative. Find some humor in your lives negative people! See the funny side instead of acting like your panties are in a knot. Yeah, it does suck that the person who posted this FML didn't get the guy she wanted, but this IS a humor site. Just a thought. (:

...what. No. It doesn't matter the gender or sexual orientation of a person. It's still loving someone who doesn't love you all the same. This reply is honestly ignorant and slightly rude.

If he's in a serious relationship with another person, does it matter if they're male or female? Unavailable either way.

I don't think you understood my comment. At least she didn't find out after they were married.

Everyone understood your comment. It was just bad the first time you posted it. The guy is clearly in a long term relationship with another man. The fact that he's obviously been with that man long enough to be getting engaged means she's known for minimum a year or more that he's gay and was never in a relationship with him.

They weren't dating, they weren't getting engaged and they weren't married or going to be married. The FML suggests that he's in love with another man and most likely has been in a relationship with him for a while, that's why he is proposing. OP is heartbroken over the fact that the person he/she is in love with, is proposing to someone else. They were asking OP for an opinion. Your comments are really making no sense at all.

Respect101 17

#38 I agree with everything you said except the whole OP should've known for at least a year if they are getting engaged now. Some people get married really early in a relationship, because they think it's amazing.

mateapearson 13

They were NEVER going to get married! Why can't you understand that?! He NEVER loved her!

Don't feel too bad. It seems the entire world population of your gender is in the friend zone with this guy. You're in good company. :) Unless of course he's one of those rare bisexuals who chooses to settle down with a person of the same gender. In which case I don't know what to tell you except move on and I'm sorry. :'( Good luck finding someone else to love.

I was kinda with you at the start, then you completely lost it. I don't think it's rare for a bisexual to settle down with the same gender, after all they just love who they love. They're not restricted to gender.

How OP, didn't noticed it? I mean, he probably didn't show any interest in her, or other females. It is not something you can hide for a long time. Sorry about that OP, but you never had a chance from the beginning.

He was probably really nice and caring and just an overall great guy but honestly, the perfect man is gay.

So you should have answered with: "Well, if you had been proposing to me, then I would have said yes." That would have let him know that you had been crushing on him, which it seems he did not know, and that he had inadvertently hurt you.

askullnamedbilly 33

Uhhh... that guy is not at fault for hurting her at all. He's in a commited relationship with another man and might not even be attracted to her gender at all. It takes most people quite a long time to get to the point where they want to propose, so OP probably had enough time to get over her feelings and realize that there was no way in hell they'd ever be together. Unrequited love sucks, but if you keep pining after the same person for YEARS instead of moving on, it's pretty much your own fault.

You you're deeply in love with him and don't even know his sexuality? Sounds like you deserve it OP.

Well when she replied she said she knew he was gay the whole time. I've had the same issue. I was best friends with a guy who is gay and I fell pretty hard for him even still and knew I would never have a chance. it happens. it doesn't mean she deserves to be hurt.