By TabbyCat87 - 09/04/2015 19:57 - United States - Arvada

Today, someone lost a support beam on the highway. My car found it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 319
You deserved it 2 495

TabbyCat87 tells us more.

TabbyCat87 8

OP here. My insurance was liability only and I'm having trouble tracking down who lost the beam. Might have to eat the cost myself. Not fun but thankfully no one was injured!

Top comments

Dreamsorrow93 24

Well it's nice of your car, helping them find it in all.

Well did you at least give it back to them? Finders keepers doesn't work in the real world..

Comments

TabbyCat87 8

OP here. My insurance was liability only and I'm having trouble tracking down who lost the beam. Might have to eat the cost myself. Not fun but thankfully no one was injured!

Maybe your insurance company can help you locate the culprit. I'm glad you're okay, though.

Dreamsorrow93 24

Sounds like you lost the support of your insurance company... No pun intended.

incoherentrmblr 21

Thankfully this did not end up like Final Destination 2. Sucks you only have liability, but I'm glad to hear you're ok OP...

serslybro 20

A few years ago a car back into me totaling my car. I only had liability insurance and they told us there was nothing they could do to help because we only has liability. We ended up having to hire a lawyer because they refused to do anything to help. I really hope your insurance will actually help you. It's really frustrating trying to figure it all out on your own. Good luck op!

TabbyCat87 8

Oh, goodness, that's terrible! I hope you were able to get a settlement. An officer told me civil court is the route I may have to take.

serslybro 20

After 2 years we are finally getting our tiny settlement in pieces. I really hope it all goes your way! Can you go after the city for not cleaning it up if you don't find who dropped it?

TabbyCat87 8

I was told by officers and an attorney that I could go after the city if they were taking their sweet time picking it up, but because I was the only one who hit it and the only one to report it, they're most likely not liable. Unless they somehow dropped it - which is a possibility.

serslybro 20

Keep us updated! I'm curious about how this all plays out!

Sounds like you weren't in good hands

TabbyCat87 8

The Department of Transportation is denying there was a beam, the state patrol said the DOT would know about it. One big, long circle. In short, I still have a huge hole in my door, my car is steadily becoming worse, and I am broke. Not a good 2016 so far. lol

Sucks to be at the wrong place at the wrong time

This is the first fml I have seen with no you deserved it. That make me happy(: but I am sorry about your car.

Beam me up Scotty! Never mind Too late

That sounds awful! I hope you are okay and there wasn't a lot of damages to your car! How unfortunate :/

Wow, that really sucks!! I'm sorry you had to go through that

Ok... so I assume the support beam isn't something small(not a native English speaker), so... why didn't you notice it? Was it hidden/your view obstructed? Did it fall off a truck in front of you? Or were you not paying attention?

TabbyCat87 8

Yes, it was very large. I didn't see it because I was on a curve in the highway going under a bridge. Once I finished turning the curve, it was right there. I saw it about a second before I hit it, so it was either swerve and hit a vehicle or hit the beam directly. So I hit the beam.

#32 Swerving wildly at 75 mph to avoid something is potentially just as dangerous as hitting the thing...

TabbyCat87 8

If I swerved, I would have guaranteed hit a car. Hitting the beam, I had a chance it wouldn't impact another vehicle. Which it thankfully didn't.

Op, I give you props for not just naturally swerving out of the way. A lot of drivers would just follow their natural instinct and swerve to avoid hitting it. Good on you for staying calm. Sounds like you're lucky that you weren't (and nobody else was) driving behind the truck that was carrying it when the beam fell off. Would've probably gone through the windshield and killed someone! Those truck owners needs to look at how they secure their items. They could easily get sued for negligence.

TabbyCat87 8

Thank you very much! I hope I can find out who dropped it or what happened to cause it to be there so we can make sure it doesn't happen again. I'd rather have my car totaled than someone lose their life over it.

Was it while looking for a co- worker?

TabbyCat87 8

I'm guessing this is related to another FML? So, my answer would be no. lol

Dang OP. Sorry to hear about that, that sounds rough :(