Today, on Intervention…

By Anonymous - 05/12/2015 06:49 - United States - San Francisco

Today, I staged an intervention for my dad, because his midlife crisis has spun out of control. When I told him he's now basically endangering his own life, he replied "Everyone's gonna die someday. Some sooner than others, eh porky?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 869
You deserved it 2 290

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Sounds like your father doesn't care for his well-being or his family's feelings. Sorry OP. At least you tried to help?

Don't worry OP, he's just insecure and lashing out. At least you tried, those who do not want help cannot be helped.

Comments

Sounds like your father doesn't care for his well-being or his family's feelings. Sorry OP. At least you tried to help?

Rawrshi 25

Perhaps he needs to see a therapist and/or doctor to help figure out what's up. It could be a form of depression or even be some sort of nutritional imbalance since lacking certain vitamins can cause weird behaviors. I don't think he truly doesn't care. Sometimes it's the caring part that makes it worse because they lash out and then feel badly until it's a vicious cycle.

Badkarma4u 17

All we know is the son thinks what the dad is doing is dangerous. He could be learning to fly. or taking up climbing

That's just harsh :/ Sorry to hear that OP

Don't worry OP, he's just insecure and lashing out. At least you tried, those who do not want help cannot be helped.

A good way to treat any addiction or other problems is like they are smoking, push them, help them, if all else fails get professional help. Keep trying OP!

Badkarma4u 17

Or he may really have meant it. Its like when a morbidly obese person tells someone they shouldn't smoke becuae its bad for them. .

youngmessi252525 20

Let him learn from his mistakes

th3m3l33r 10

By dying or being severely injured? Wtf?

If he doesn't want to be helped, then yeah. He'll have to learn from the consequences.

Badkarma4u 17

He's a grown ass man. Let him live his own life.

WallyQ 18

Don't stop trying, it sometimes just takes time and patience

Don't worry he will get over it soon, eh porky

91hayek 31

Sorry to hear that. It's hard to see the ones you love hurt themselves. Hope you have family that can help you with him.

What was out of control that required an intervention? Mid-life crisis is a little vague.

Trolloled 16

Dude, that's not important. She said that it endangered his life and he confirmed it when he said "everyone's gonna die someday." Point is: it IS dangerous, so he should rethink it if not for his own sake, then for the sake of his loved ones who obviously care about him.

Badkarma4u 17

This is subjective. Endangering his own life could be anything from riding a motorcycle to skydiving.

Not sure why 9 is getting down-voted. He's just curious as to what the op's dad is doing that is dangerous and life threatening. Usually when people go through a midlife crisis they buy a new sports car or motorcycle, get a new girlfriend or boyfriend (usually a lot younger), start dressing younger and acting more immaturely...nothing that is actually life threatening. So it's not a weird question to ask. I too am curious as to what he could be doing that is so dangerous. Maybe he's getting into fights or doing drugs or drinking too much or something? Either way, I'm sorry op. I hope your dad comes to his senses and deals with his issues soon. Maybe you can ask if he would see a psychiatrist/therapist? Sounds like he has some emotional issues he needs to deal with.

bass_ftp 12

Of which riding a motorcycle is by far the more dangerous option (and I do both)

Sounds like an underlying issue, like depression. Try talking to him and figure out what's up. Hoping everything is okay and that maybe he's just being lazy.

Rawrshi 25

That's what I was thinking - the depressed part.

rylcrazy 6

Depression isn't always the answer to every problem someone might have.