By neverunderstood - 02/12/2016 12:39 - Italy - San Pietro In Casale

Today, my wife suddenly texted me to meet her halfway beetween our house and the supermarket. I immediately put my shoes on and started walking eager to get to her as fast as I could to surprise her. Turns out she was carrying three heavy bags and yelled at me for being slow and by foot. FML
I agree, your life sucks 9 427
You deserved it 1 422

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I mean, what else did you expect from a woman who is coming from a supermarket?

Not much of a surprise when she was the one who told you to meet her?

Comments

hellobobismyname 24

I know right?! How dare she want help from her husband after buying the groceries and walking with 3 heavy bags at least halfway to their house. Divorce her!

I mean, what else did you expect from a woman who is coming from a supermarket?

Could have been that she asked him to meet her at a place halfway in-between and he thought he was being invited for a meal or a drink there. OP's kinda vague on the subject but there's no reason to think he knew she was coming home from the supermarket, that's just what turned to have happened.

For her to wait at the supermarket and call you to use the car to pick her up? If you have three heavy bags, don't start walking and subsequently get angry about the bags being heavy, you can't have it both ways...

Have you never bitten off more than you could chew and had to ask for some help?

Not much of a surprise when she was the one who told you to meet her?

Was legit about to comment that...this fml doesn't give much info. Was he trying to surprise her WITH something? And how far was the halfway point? Not much I'm guessing if you were able to walk..

OP said that he tried to surprise her by getting there quickly.

I was going to say the same thing. And surprising her by getting there quickly makes no sense. That wouldn't surprise me, it would make me happy. Though it's worth noting a vehicle would have been even faster.

She didn't say she was at the market, just halfway there from their home, giving an example of her location. She didn't say she wanted him to drive either. Besides, if they had a car at home, why did she walk to the store and buy more than she could carry? Fyl OP, because your wife deserved it.

I think it's pretty common sense. It's either that or she's just chilling on some random street corner for no particular reason.

It's the norm to walk to and from places in Europe, so it makes perfect sense that she walked. It's possible she underestimated her ability to carry it all. It happens sometimes.

Right. Remind me, if ever we get married and I go shopping and find something you've been wanting for ages but I already have as much as I can carry, you won't want to help carry the groceries so I should just not get that present for you.

Never said I (or OP) shouldn't help. I said FHL because his wife was being nasty about a situation she created. If she was more specific then he would've driven to meet her.

I mean common sense would have told me hey if she's coming home from the store, I should probably take my car or bike with me to help carry the groceries.

So take the heavy bags from her and enjoy a nice walk together back to your house. This doesn't seem like a situation to get upset about on your part. I'm a reasonable person and I would have yelled at you too.

I'm not entirely sure you understand the word "reasonable," then.

Goblin182 26

The wife should have explained what she wanted OP to meet her for. Not just tell him to meet her halfway and expect him to figure it out. Come on, ladies, you know we guys don't think that way.

not gonna lie MN not what I thought. I was seriously expecting her to meet a guy and u found them

I think it's pretty cute you wanted to surprise her.

but since his wife asked him to meet her surely it's a bit stoopid as well as being cute?

So you apologise for taking your time, take two of the bags and walk home with her, and put the groceries away, leaving out the stuff you'll need to cook her dinner