By Anonymous - 09/03/2010 08:57 - United States

Today, my roommate confronted me about my eating disorder. She described in length how emaciated my chest has become and how she wants to help. Except I don't have an eating disorder. My sternum is deformed and I have only recently become confident enough to wear low-cut tops. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 616
You deserved it 2 638

Same thing different taste

Top comments

People suck, OP. don't listen to them. Your sternum isn't your fault and I bet you're gorgeous.

justanotherbird 19

Aw, that is really terrible. They didn't know and were just trying to help, but that doesn't make sucks any less.

Comments

Mx_Rider 6

awww... i kinda feel bad... lmao...

Wow. This has got to be a record for the least sarcastically mean FML comments. Your sternum FTW!

only problem is that soooo many ppl base off looks anymore. I dress in black everyday excet at work. ppl talk more when I'm not in all black... outward appearances shouldn't mean a thing. but they factor in still.

Do you mean your sternum goes inwards? Because I have that, it is called Pectus Excavatum, I had an operation last month to fix it. I recommend you see a Doctor if you are self concious about it.

**** these people recommending plastic surgery! In my opinion, unless her condition causes health problems, there is no reason she should have to change how she is to make other people feel a certain way about her. Those people who would see her any better if she got "fixed" are superficial and not worthy of her time. I am one of the many people who find flaws to be super interesting and attractive. That sternum is fascinating, unique, and all yours. Since when should that be a bad thing? Don't ever let the shallowness of the world fool you into making it more important than inner beauty and happiness. Sorry for the ******* cheesy rambling, but this is something I feel very strongly about. Be proud of yourself and just know that there are so many more people than you think who find natural uniqueness (and pride in that) to be magnetic. You rock whatever top you want- STAY FIERCE, BABYCAKES.

I can understand upset about the comments about breast implants, but pectus excavatum or pectus carinatum are actual medical conditions that can cause problems. People who get those conditions fixed are not superficial, at all. Most likely, they had a doctor recommend the surgery to fix the deformity.

Okay, then in that case I think it's fine. I meant that if it was merely an aesthetic thing, the person shouldn't bother. Health reasons, of course.

Yeah, I can't believe people would actually try to suggest breast implants to hide it, lol. How sad that some people jump to that first! I just remember working at a Children's hospital, and we had kids in all the time for repairs of chest deformities. It was a pretty routine procedure. I have realized that working in hospitals make your perspective on what is normal and not normal so incredibly skewed, lol.

I volunteered with children born with mental and physical disabilities, and I think it's not so much that it changes my perception on "normal" (is there such a thing?) but it makes me remember the important things in life, which is being happy with what you've been given and not basing your happiness around what you wish you were (or what others tell you what to want). I won't lie, I'm a girl who enjoys looking cute and stuff, but the day I care more about people thinking I'm attractive than being a compassionate person is the day I'd die. Being around children who will never look like people on movies and TV, but who are still so happy with themselves, is amazing. Okay, enough mushiness! Done!

Pendatic: Absolutely! lol astro_plastic: For me, it was working at the Children's hospital for almost 5 years, and only really seeing the sick kids. It is sometimes scary when all you see are the ones who are sick, and you start to worry about something like that happening if you ever have kids. The kids with disabilities are my favorite. I don't think anyone can compare to them. There is definitely so much love and happiness. Heck, I just met one of my bf's friends who has MD and is 20, and she is like her own little ray of sunshine. You can't help but be happy around her. I think working with kids can be so hard and yet so rewarding at the same time. Ok, enough mushiness on my side, too :D

I knew a girl whose sternum was kinda convex. Not sure what it was or how to describe it. But she did look kinda malnourished because of it. I would never dream of talking about it. I knew she ate, and I'm sure it was uncomfortable for her. Roomie was trying to be good, but failed. Wear whatever you like. I love how non-nasty this thread is!!!

I'm sorry but if your roomate had no idea of your condition you can't expect them not to think otherwise if your appearance makes you look anorexic, your roomate stated that she was only trying to help and by the sounds of it she didn't know about your condition cause then she would know why you look emancipated. Good on you for having some new found confidence but please try to remember not everyone is a mind reader.

>_> emancipated =/= emaciated emancipated: freed, as from slavery or bondage. emaciated: extremely thin, especially as a result of starvation. Lol. Sorry. I just thought it was a hilarious typo.

i think you have pectus carinatum. i have the same. im a guy and it doesnt bother me though. just try to ignore it. people only know i have it because im open about it

This isn't your FML, this is your roommates FML. It's all good.