By sophiae123 - 18/01/2015 03:50 - United States - Cadillac

Today, my parents threatened to take away my college funds. Why? Because I complained about my 10 pm curfew during break as a freshman in college. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 426
You deserved it 5 308

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Sadly... Until you move out into your own place you need to live by their rules. I know that sucks for you, but unless they can accept that you're grown up and an adult now, you're gunna have to learn to deal with it. Sorry. :/

Or your parents should respect the fact you're a grown adult and shouldn't have a curfew. I mean 11 pm is kinda early for a 22 yr old..

Comments

I'm really surprised how many people support Op's parents. The moment I turned 18, although I was still in high school and living with my parents, I had no curfew. My mom tried telling me what time to come home but it never worked. Just because your parents said they'll take your college funds doesn't mean they'll do it. Maybe they're just looking for a way to control since you're already drown up. Stand up for yourself.

JohnTheDonJuan 11

The only state parents are required to pay for college is new York. . opinion is in Michigan so his parents can and should with that attitude

They might already be hurting for money. Your disrespect is adding to the dismay.

Look at it this way, OP, you're getting your college tuition paid for FOR FREE. Either treat your early curfew as a sacrifice you need to make to get that free tuition, or move out and pay for your own tuition so you can stay out as late as you want. In my opinion, though, it's worth it to just suck it up and deal with your parents rules, seeing as they're keeping you out of debt right now.

This is especially funny to me because im in 7th grade with the same curfew ???

How do you have curfew in the seventh grade? You're not old enough to drive or to go most places on your own.

"Today my parents required me to give some of my blood so they could perform a demonic ritual to Belial, or else they would kick me out of the house. FML." "Their house their rules. You don't like it? Tough. Move out or suck it up." Fact of the matter is, it doesn't matter if that's the house rules and they should respect it. If these parents were good parents, they wouldn't be doing this. They don't HAVE to pay for their child's tuition, sure. But that doesn't excuse an overly strict curfew, either. And none of that BS about paying for their own tuition, either. Have you SEEN tuition prices in this day and age? You can't afford tuition on two minimum wage jobs - and if you have two minimum wage jobs, you don't have the TIME to do schoolwork! Besides, who's to say that OP's own money isn't included in those "college funds?" You'd be surprised at how many parents have access to their children's bank accounts and can take away even THEIR hard earned money. Suffice it to say, you people are making a lot of assumptions. The parents are not always right. So why is it that every time parents are brought up, a mass of people swarms to take their side?

"Suffice it to say, you people are making a lot of assumptions. The parents are not always right. So why is it that every time parents are brought up, a mass of people swarms to take their side?" People take the parents side because many of the people here are parents. Parents are not all evil. Parents are not always wrong. You're making just as many assumptions when you automatically take OP's side especially when it's clear that OP is not telling the whole story. Imagine someone in your family wanted to go to college and they needed you to help pay for it. How would you feel about paying all their regular bills AND spending 100k over 4 years on tuition and expenses, while they did nothing but party and bring home shitty grades? Hello 10pm curfew and "my house my rules"!! Just because the parents are paying the bills doesn't mean they're rich. Lots of parents take on second jobs and huge loans to pay for their kids education because that's what parents do.

lots of people have three not just two minimum wage jobs work 80 to 100 hours a week plus college. you do what you have to.

Skrappz 4

OP was VISITING. No one said they're bringing home shitty grades OR partying all night. Now YOUR making the assumptions Sparks. If I decide to pay my kids college, that's MY choice. That doesn't mean I should start making absurd rules because I made a conscience choice to pay the bills.

What assumptions? I asked a question: Imagine someone in your family wanted to go to college and they needed your to help pay for it. How would you feel about paying all their regular bills AND spending 100k over 4 years on tuition and expenses, while they did nothing but party and bring home shitty grades?

That's all great except for the fact that no parent says to their child "I'll pay for your college education and you have free reign to do whatever you want, even when you're home to visit." No. The money comes with conditions. You do a decent job in school and follow your parents rules, you get to stay out of debt. A curfew is just one of those conditions. Nothing in life is free and no one would hand over that much money without any conditions. Anyone who thinks that they can do whatever they want and still get a ton of money is honestly a spoiled brat and needs to grow up.

Which would you rather have? A: The freedom to do what you want when you want and a 100k college bill to pay off for the rest of your life. B: A free education that includes free housing on campus and a 10pm curfew during the few times a year when you're visiting your parents. If OP can't or won't get the right loans or pay her own way then she should just STFU and be grateful that her parents are able to pay her education and her living on campus. Most kids can't afford college without taking on massive debt - having some responsibility isn't going to kill her.

Skrappz 4

Being forced to stay home WHEN YOU'RE AN ADULT is not "responsibility." It's parents treating their fully grown child like a young child. I agree OP should feel grateful to have college paid for them, but don't try to pretend like her parents are completely in the right. It's ****** up to be so controlling to your kid when they're GROWN ASS ADULTS IN COLLEGE. If your mature enough to know what you want out of college, you should be mature enough to go out late without mommy and daddy freaking out.

Where do you get the idea that OP is being forced to do anything. She has a choice to make. Respect her parents curfew or pay her own bills. It's not her money and her Parents have the right to attach any conditions they want on how they will spend THEIR money. Adults pay their bills and take care of their own responsibilities. If OP were a GROWN ASS ADULT she would pay her own way and stop taking handouts from mommy and daddy. She's not going to give up their money so she has a curfew, which she is in here whining about .... exactly the decision that any immature child would make. I AM a grown ass adult and I'd trade a 10 pm curfew for a free education plus living expenses any day.

I believe that if you have a child in this day and age, you should be prepared to help with college funds, and if you can't then you aren't fit to be a parent. College is almost mandatory in the job market now, and college tuition is impossible for a child to pay for on their own. Not to mention, federal loans for school are the only loans you can't declare bankruptcy on. I have no respect for parents who use a college education as blackmail for their children. I worked my ass off and took out a loan so I can do school all on my own and not hear shit from my parents. I'd rather have to be in debt than deal with that.

58, The corollary to that is this: if you're mature enough to make your own rules (like curfew), you're mature enough to pay your own way. You can't ask mommy and daddy to treat you like an adult with regard to rules, but like a child with regard to financial obligation. You can't have your cake and eat it too, as they say.

hobbs96 26

It's hard to go from being at college (where you can literally hop on a lightrail and go anywhere you want at anytime of the day or night) to being stuck at home, you feel trapped. Believe me I know how you feel.

I'll never understand why you being back in the house matters to parents so much. I can understand the cleaning and having guest over rules and what not but what difference does it make if you're there or not?? I'm referring to the older kids of course 18+

xluciferx666 21

In the words of my father "you don't like my rules move out"

juturnaamo 29

I remember when I started college, I could only find a part time job that fit the school schedule, so I lived over a garage and the heat didn't work, and I couldn't afford to eat every day, but hey, at least I could stay out past 10!