By poorman - 09/10/2009 23:22 - Canada

Today, my mother, who religiously checks her bank account after every purchase, then shreds her receipts, got fed up with me not doing the same. So she shredded all my piled up receipts. These include the 100s of dollars I had spent for my work, which I need the receipts to get reimbursed for. FML
I agree, your life sucks 45 326
You deserved it 3 314

Same thing different taste

Top comments

People shouldn't mess with others' things.

Why would she shred them though? It is useful to have proof of purchase for things...

Comments

Explain to your mom what you were saving those receipts for and then kindly tell her she gets to go through the shredded paper and piece each one of them back together, and that if she fails to do so to even one receipt, she gets to be the one to reimburse you.

why hadn't you turned those receipts in already? wouldn't it make sense to submit a receipt for reimbursement as soon as you make the purchase? what were you waiting for?

janise 2

Usually you have to save receipts for when you do taxes. You then get reimbursed via a tax credit that lowers what you owe or increases your refund.

Brooklynxman 0

Make her pay you back. I know you cant actually MAKE her, but never ever let it go, bring it up in every conversation, till she pays you back.

Why are you still living with your mother?

lovesucksxxx 0

Make her pay for them or I'd never talk to her again.

So you live at home - fine. But at least be smart enough that if you have important work-related documents that you don't want other people messing with, put them in a safe place...drawer, folder, file cabinet, a $3.00 file box from Office Depot or Staples clearly marked "Work Files". Don't leave them where somoene with a predilection for cleaning them up or screwing with them can easily see them and be tempted.

The FML doesn't say anywhere that he's still living with his mother you idiots.

You live under mom's roof, you live by mom's rules. That means you have to follow her religion. While it sounds odd, your mom evidently worships a god who is ravenously hungry for sacrifices. Luckily, that god doesn't require killing children or virgins (including the middle-aged male kind who still live with their moms), but has a lust for shredded receipts. Accept your punishment for ignoring the commandments, and be glad she hasn't joined that one that makes you save your pee in jars and roll your poop into little balls.

Since bank statements aren't viable, call the store(s) and see if you can get duplicate receipts. If you can't, then get her to reimburse you, by force if necessary (unless you decline the option). Lastly, this should be your cue to place important receipts such as that in a safer place. FYL for having to deal with a thieving mother. Unfortunately, if you happen to still live with your mother or, for whatever reason, gave her access that allowed her to get within range of your important documentation, then I'm afraid you kind of instigated the circumstance as well. :(