By Almost_Homeless - 23/04/2014 12:43 - Canada - London

Today, my landlord started showing my apartment, where I have lived and paid rent for over 2 years, to prospective tenants. I didn't realize that I was moving. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 993
You deserved it 3 402

Same thing different taste

Top comments

honeybeeki 14

That's against the law. You should report him.

SDee1234 11

Comments

There better be a good reason you are leaving

as landlord i had to give notice to the tentents before i could go in even if the tentends are moving they still have rights and have to be follow. The landlord is in the wrong could get charge for trespass even if he own the unit. It is still there home until they are moved. So op charge him with trespassing

Land owners are required by American federal law to provide at least three weeks notice prior to; renting, selling or demolishing occupied space, or evicting a tenet for viable reasons.

I don't think that matters, seeing how the OP lives in Canada.

Op also didn't say he was being evicted or anything. It was only an apartment showing. That could still be three weeks :P.

take your landlord for a court visit..rest taken care by it self...

S/he meant "It's not just that he should have, but that he is legally required to have notified OP."

even in canada they still have to give notice it would be like me walking in to your house with out warning.

bivz14 11

I'm actually pretty sure I've seen this one before and I doubt it's happening to two people

I lived in my apartment about a year and landlord just walked inn with new tenants. "oh I thought you were out already" just because I'm the young goth. and sadly im the only one who pays on time and follows every rule here lol

HeyImAmy 20

I don't know what's going on in your landlord's head. I have no idea if he hates you or anything like that. I just know that I have no idea why he became a landlord in the first place. Like other people have said, you have to give notice before you enter someone's apartment or kick them out and, if you send a notice, you have to follow up to take sure that the tenant got the notice. Being a landlord does not give you freedom to do whatever you want in your house. It's a shame that people feel they can abuse their power and not follow the law. You should ask him why he is invading your apartment when you still live there and have not gotten a notice about moving out. If he kicks you or or anything like that, you need to take him to court because he was unlawfully trying to sell your apartment and did not notify you that you have to leave.

This is probably different in other countries, but over here there are some small addendums to those rules. First off, you must likely signed a lease contract for the apartment, those usually stipulate you only have to be present for him to show the apartment. He only has the ask permission if you are not at home. Secondly, you are obligated to make your apartment available if he informs you of prospects coming (within reason though). Thirdly, he does not have to follow up on said notice, assuming he presented it in a correct way. For example, if he put a note in your mailbox, he can safely assume you got the notice, since you are most likely the only one using that mailbox. But if he taped it to your door, it is very easy for it to get lost.