By Anonymous - 30/04/2013 17:55 - United States - Hartford

Today, my guidance counselor told me that I'll have to join my school's special education needs sector. This is because I can't attend school properly due to chronic issues with severe pain. So much for my 3.9 GPA and being in the top 5% of my class. FML
I agree, your life sucks 51 271
You deserved it 3 359

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Im sure theres is something you can do to avoid that , with grades like that you're school can't let it happen!

Comments

I happen to work in a school's special education department..and unless your school operates WAY differently than any I've ever seen before then being in special education should not change your GPA unless you were put into what we call "self contained"(severe mental retardation) ..and since you have such a high GPA as a regular ed student then I doubt that is the case. Anyway..good luck OP! Hope you get everything.worked out!

"Mental retardation" is not the correct term, anymore. It has changed to "learning disability" or something similar. And not all self contained classrooms are for severe special education. My mother teaches mild to moderate special education in a self contained classroom. The students only have mild disabilities like autism, specific learning disabilities, etc.

yes I realize that is not how all schools operate..which is why I said it was what my school calls self contained ...not that ALL self contained classes operate that way..and also my district does refer to it as severe mental retardation and the "learning disability" is a separate class that is not self contained but just receives extra assistance in a resource classroom

Special Ed classes don't necessarily mean "easier" classes. Each situation is different, and I'm guessing with yours, the school is trying to accommodate the chronic pain issues you have so that it doesn't negatively affect your G.P.A or attendance records. @ #27, schools may get more funding for a student with special needs, but it's not like the funding goes into someone's personal pocket. It get's applied to the special ed program which are usually already underfunded and overpopulated.

grashopper8 7

That is absolute 100% insanity. Please update us on how you fight this battle and win! Write to your local newspaper. Get the word out, everyone will take your side. Please don't take this lying down.

I don't think they can do that, I mean if you're in the top 5% instead of being moved to the special education classes they should just allow you to have a special reason to get up, or get ice.

arkin5 4

How can you be in the top 5% in your class but only have a 3.9 GPA?

That's only .1 point from having perfect grades. You must have a very talented school if that wouldn't put you in the top 5%.

Take it to school board. You obviously are able to keep up, with your high GPA. They can't force you into to remedial classes because of attendance. That's not why those programs exist anyway. They are there for students who need special teaching methods and a different pace due to special learning requirements.

I have a chronic pain syndrome and I do hospital/home bound plus online classes. They can't just shove you in special ed

Your school obviously doesn't know the difference between a physical and a mental ailment. OTL See if you can get checked out by a rheumatologist. They often deal with chronic pain and fibromyalgia.

I love school an was in the top 10 students at my school so something like this would stress me out, you should be able to do something about this