By Anonymous - 30/04/2013 17:55 - United States - Hartford

Today, my guidance counselor told me that I'll have to join my school's special education needs sector. This is because I can't attend school properly due to chronic issues with severe pain. So much for my 3.9 GPA and being in the top 5% of my class. FML
I agree, your life sucks 51 271
You deserved it 3 359

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Im sure theres is something you can do to avoid that , with grades like that you're school can't let it happen!

Comments

there are free online public schools. I would look into that if I was you.

I also have a pain issue. I have RSD

ctlnaaia71 8

who's that stupid? are you sure you're not talking to the janitor?

Time to get an attorney. That sounds like discrimination.

They may not actually change your situation, but they do need to put an iep in place. It may be a ploy to get more funds from the state board of ed... funding is all based on numbers, schools sometimes rush to classify students for that reason.

You can tell them no its illegal to force you as long as your patents say they do not want it or you're 18

I have Asperger's, and I know from experience that you can get an IEP and stay in all advanced classes. Teachers are simply told what allowances--if any--they need to make under the IEP. Being classified as "special needs" does not mean that someone's going to force you into kindergarten-level classes with a bunch of retards (which seems to be what a lot of people think "special ed" is).

Also, I think there are some pretty decent scholarships available for special needs students--at least, there are for people with conditions on the autism spectrum. Dunno about OP's pain issue, whatever it is... fibromyalgia, maybe?

Joining the special needs section doesn't mean you're stupid, and I'm pretty damn offended that anyone thinks it is. For example, my mum's boss has dyslexia and an IQ of 174 - you can be smart and have special needs educationally. This whole page makes me pretty terrified about how people view this world, it's worrying. Those with special needs are not "morons", "idiots" or any other offensive term, they're just doing their best. It's people who can't take 2 minutes of their time to understand them who are the idiots.

Amen! The special education sector is grossly misunderstood, and unfortunately the people that are most hurt by these misunderstandings are the children that the services are put in place to help.

That doesn't explain why I'm in special ed and just about every damn students acts like an imbecile. I was put in for emotional trauma/disturbance, which basically means they thought I was crazy.

Chronic illness is a valid reason to be put in special Ed especially if you're missing days because of it. They just want you to do the best you can do in school in your condition. However they can't force you into it. And it won't affect your Gpa or rating, it might actually help you do better. :)