By cherokeems - 26/03/2015 17:44 - United States - Harriman

Today, my girlfriend of a month told me that the only thing keeping her from swallowing a bottle of pills is being in a relationship with me, because she doesn't handle breakups well. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 568
You deserved it 3 034

Same thing different taste

Top comments

rachelfromtarget 14

Well thats not a healthy relationship.

alexish128 13

What are you 15? You say you love her after a month and then say you're falling for someone else? I think you need to figure things out...continuing a relationship like this is not healthy for anyone.

Comments

You still need to leave her because this is emotional manipulation and seriously unhealthy.

Schizophrenia is pretty serious and the risk of suicide is high. I can tell you, though, that it is still domestic violence to threaten suicide. The reason you stated (feeling trapped because you care about her) is the reason why its domestic violence. It probably wasn't intended as such, as real suicidal thoughts are very powerful and need to be shared (but in a different way.) So, she has a lot of big problems that people with schizophrenia face. There is a reason the homeless population is full of people with mental health problems. Depending on her compliance with treatment, her ability to function could be hard to deal with. Without family members willing to be lifelong caregivers and support, she could easily succumb to her illness. It's best to have more support than just one person, but that's often hard to find. There just isn't enough support in the world. And if you're not capable of being that support, it's better to be honest. Being mentally ill can be really lonely, but having hope on something that isn't going to work out only gets worse the longer you cling to it.

I get that you can love more than one person at a time. Don't listen to people who say you "can't" do that. I know you can. Anyone can. It's a lie that you can't. What you CAN'T do is be her therapist. She is not in a place physically to be in a relationship. She had work to do before that. You can be her friend and listen, but it's not fair to you to have to be her therapist. Doesn't she have one anyway? Own the fact you've fallen for someone else.

Here's the thing: it's not your job to fix anyone else. What she's doing is manipulation, plain and simple. She knows you have a high amount of empathy, making it easy to play off that to get what she wants.

Sounds like my ex. Almost considered faking my own death to get away from her. Luckily she was cheating on me and chose the other girl. Yay me!! :) good luck OP and treat your girl right. She sounds like she needs your love. Hopefully she's not just a crazy like mine.

You can do so much better. If you stay with someone like that then you're just gonna get hurt in the end. She really does not sound worth it. Plus you've only been with her for a month. If she's acting like this now then it's only going to get worse.

You shouldn't stay with her. Staying would mean committing years of your life and risking your emotional stability for someone whom you might not be able to help at all. What she needs is help and probably medication. Yes, you're probably afraid she'll hurt yourself if you leave her, but odds are she's just saying that to get you to stay and won't actually go through with it. The fact that you already felt trapped is just another indicator you're not ready for a relationship with someone so troubled. You probably only fell in love with the idea of fixing her, anyway. But you can't, don't fool yourself.

Get rid of her. You'll regret it if things go bad. She just showed you her hand