By TinyBouvier - 27/10/2014 08:04 - Belgium - Gent

Today, my friend drove up a parking lot and I unbuckled my seatbelt as soon as we were parked. He then suddenly saw a better spot right in front and moved his car. When I got out, a police officer approached me, saying I wasn't wearing my seatbelt. I was fined for that. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 936
You deserved it 5 021

LittleDoggo tells us more.

My friend parked between two other cars and as I was about to get out of the car, he said, "hold on, I'm gonna move to that spot", since he noticed the parking spot in front of him had more room. So he slowly drove forward for a few meters and then we were parked again. It was such a small distance and at such low speed that I didn't bother to buckle up again. Unfortunately for me, the police officer who saw me in those five seconds where I wasn't wearing the seatbelt, didn't believe me when I tried to explain that I had just unbuckled my seatbelt moments before we moved to that parking spot. He was firmly convinced that I wasn't wearing my seatbelt the whole time and gave me a fine of 110€... That's roughly 139$. I fear I won't be able to fight this ticket. After a quick search on Google, I found out that in Belgium the parking lot of a store is also considered a "public road". Ridiculous.

Top comments

Psycho_Babydoll 26

Wouldn't your friend have backed you up?

That police officer was just being a dick you should fight it in court

Comments

JDCH_99 10

Don't know where you are, OP, but in Canada cops can't ticket for moving violations on private property like a parking lot. Check out your local statutes. You might have a good case to argue. JUST READ YOUR COMMENT ABOVE: Disregard my comment.

Yes they can if they have permission of the property owner/manager.

buck1229 3

I thought a ticket for seatbelts went to the driver.

Goblin182 26

In Georgia, U.S. they go to the person not wearing the belt. Its like $15.00 for the first time. Goes up each time though.

Kristoffer 35

Apparently in Belgium, they're more reasonable about WHO gets the ticket, but not under what conditions. The ticket should NEVER go to the driver unless the driver is the one unbelted, or the one who is unbelted is a minor.

They only go to the driver if passenger is considered underage or if the passenger is deemed mentally incompetent. The age may changes by state. I remember being pulled over because my grandmother took off her seat belt. The officer gave me a warning because I seemed generally surprised that she no longer was wearing it. However I was told me that because of her age and condition I'd be held responsible. She was a troll and knew how to act the part. Condition my ass! That woman was a hell raiser until the day she died.

The passenger can get a ticket for not having their seatbelt on?

They ticket the person that isn't wearing the seatbelt, unless they are a minor or mentally unable. It's pretty logical.

What was so bad about the spot you were at? But seriously it's a good rule to always keep it fastened while the car is in motion

If we'd have stayed in our original parking spot then we'd have to carefully squeeze ourselves out of our doors and try to avoid our doors waving open against another car. But the spot in front of us had just that little bit of extra space. The cars parked next to it were actually properly parked, allowing us to get out of our car comfortably.

For everyone just jumping to call the cop a dick, you also gotta see it from his perspective. He's probably heard every excuse in the book. Especially if he's an older cop, hearing every excuse and being lied to just starts to insult your intelligence, and sadly, that works against people like our OP. OP, you could try to challenge it, maybe the officer's dash cam saw you while your friend pulled in that could verify a seatbelt, or he might not show up at all and the ticket is dropped. Good luck!

So did you not have enough time to buckle your seatbelt again? And did your friend back you up when you told the cop that it was just recently unbuckled?

Isn't technically the drivers fault because they're the one responsible for everyone in the car?

Wow, cops will do anything to purposely piss you off now a days.

Ah yes, they do their job to try and piss people off. God forbid people follow the law. Granted, the OP here didn't deserve a ticket, and should be able to contest it, but technically since the car was moving the OP did break the law. And you have to hand it to the cop, he's probably heard every excuse in the book, even if it's true in this case, he's probably heard it one too many tines to find if believable. Your comment was just rather a rude generalisation.