By Noname - 01/02/2009 00:15 - United States

Today, my fiancée "thought I should know" that she has a $125,000 student loan debt. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 406
You deserved it 4 749

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Aw come ON now. If that was the only way she could pay for her education, you should be proud that she did so and didn't just sit around and be a bum. (Assuming, of course, that she's working.) If she's expecting you to pay for it all, that's one thing. But I'd guess she's going to be doing it herself, just maybe needing a little help here and there. OVer the next 50 years.....

I'm a college student who is going into more and more debt. My boyfriend still wants to marry me regardless. Money < Love

Comments

She went to school.. be happy she has an education. Not everyone has a rich mommy and daddy who can pay for their college. Doctors, Dentists & Lawyers had more student loans than that... so for all we know she could be a big top dog in a few years.

Does she have an actual education? Does her job pay her a good return? My wife school loans are 180k, but she earn 4 times that a year so I don't complain..lol Just make sure she does not stick you with them..

wtf does your wife do?! Because unless she's a surgeon of some kind how is she making over 500k a year

Why has this not come up before now. Maybe it's just me but if I was planning to marry a person, I would hope that things like this would have been discussed way before I got down on one knee.

She better be a doctor for that kind of loan

i can't imagine how this just never happened to come up until after you were engaged...

Yea break it off unless she's in a career where she'll be able to cover that. Otherwise even though you aren't responsible, you will be paying it. IE attorney, doctor, engineer (really pushing it!) yea, stick with her. Social worker or school teacher (unless she's got a Phd), run as fast as you can. It's not about being a gold digger, or caring too much about money, it's about do you still want to be in a shit-hole apartment barely making ends meet when you are 35, only to have her leave you once you get the shit paid off, because that's what happens a lot of the time.

anonymous100000 17

Okay. I'm tired of reading comments like this. OF COURSE she has an amazing degree for some profound career. no normal college education would cost nearly that much unless you go to medical school, law school, etc. so she can easily make that much money in a year or two and live off of him and pay all of the debt off in 2 years time and then live lavishly. it's BS assumptions that it'll take 10-30 years to pay off such debt and assume he will pay because he's male that pisses me off. And OP, stop being a baby about this. at least she's doing something with her life and not sitting on her ass waiting for you to support her. I don't even consider this to be an FML.

As far as I know you aren't obligated to pay it. That's according to Suze Orman, so who knows if it's true.

Hey, she told you. That's more than most people would do.

thats jokes. some people don't get this: its that when you marry some one every asset and liability is split 50/50. so that means you have to pay 62,500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!