By Noname - 01/02/2009 00:15 - United States

Today, my fiancée "thought I should know" that she has a $125,000 student loan debt. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 406
You deserved it 4 749

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Aw come ON now. If that was the only way she could pay for her education, you should be proud that she did so and didn't just sit around and be a bum. (Assuming, of course, that she's working.) If she's expecting you to pay for it all, that's one thing. But I'd guess she's going to be doing it herself, just maybe needing a little help here and there. OVer the next 50 years.....

I'm a college student who is going into more and more debt. My boyfriend still wants to marry me regardless. Money < Love

Comments

I'd be pissed if she told me after the marriage!

At least she didn't marry you and then spring that little bit of news on you.

#5.. no. Just no. When you get married, funds are shared. What did you think would happen? He would be eating a steak dinner while she had a bowl of rice? He drives to work while she bikes? Hope things work out... but damn.

sparxva 12

Yeah, so? Your wife to be has student loan debt. She probably has a great job that goes with it like a doctor, lawyer or MBA. That's the way the system works. Not an FML. Not even close. You have a fiance who wanted to make sure she didn't surprise you with something important. Man up.

with 125k you can have a more than decent retirement in some countries.

What'd you do, marry him in Vegas the night you met him?

I think you're a dick for making this an FML. If you actually love her (which, I hope, is why you're getting married in the first place) so what? It's not like she's not doing anything with the education that put her in that debt (assumption) And with combined incomes you'll be able to pay it of with money to spare.

How is this NOT an FML? It doesn't matter if she 'plans on paying it off herself' as many people assume, when two people get married, they share financial burdens. You don't see one spouse losing the house for not paying their part of the bill and the other get stay for being able to pay it off, do you? And as much as love matters in a marriage, it doesn't mean shit when you're paying the bills and trying to keep a roof over your head and food in your mouth. Either way, they're both screwed because she has to pay it off and if he marries he, he's partially responsible for her debt. So FYL for having to choose, and for her springing it up like that at the last possible moment.

anonymous100000 17

it's people like you that drive the divorce rate up

How is this NOT an FML? It doesn't matter if she 'plans on paying it off herself' as many people assume, when two people get married, they share financial burdens. You don't see one spouse losing the house for not paying their part of the bill and the other get stay for being able to pay it off, do you? And as much as love matters in a marriage, it doesn't mean shit when you're paying the bills and trying to keep a roof over your head and food in your mouth. Especially if the two are planning on having children. Either way, they're both screwed because she has to pay it off and if he marries he, he's partially responsible for her debt.