By Anonymous - 18/10/2010 05:28 - United States

Today, my fiancé proposed to me. I was really excited until he asked, "Can we go halfsies on the ring?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 126
You deserved it 5 731

Lol_0127 tells us more.

I'm the OP. Let me clarify a few things. He's not suffering finacially. He makes $60,000 a year. I make $20,000. He bought a $3000 ring which was more than enough for me. It's beautiful. I don't want a massive rock. I don't spend all his money. I support myself. We live together. I pay half the rent

Top comments

Wow I am so dumb. When I first read this FML, I thought it meant to half the ring and have half each. I read 5 comments until I realized what it really meant. I am a total failure.

Comments

CiaranPM 0

Oh OP shut the **** up, at least he proposed. Weddings and such are overrated anyway.

#108, Wow! What animosity! Who broke your heart? I am happy he proposed. I love him and want to spend the rest of my life with him but his actions show he's immaure and not serious or ready for that kind of a commitment.

CiaranPM 0

Nobody broke my heart. I just really hate women that think a relationship/marriage is about rings and proposing and blah blah blah.

What's the difference... most likely he'll buy the ring on credit from a jeweler... and when you get married you'll share finances and be paying it off together anyway. Stop letting stupid money get in the way... if you love him and want to marry him, why let the ring ruin it? Yes, he could've been a little more mature about how he brought it up, but maybe he wanted to say in half-jokingly. Marriage is NOT about the ring, being engaged is NOT about the ring, it's about loving someone and committing to them.

Couldn't agree with you more. It seems that most american couples forget that about marriage.

i agree with you as well. and she could also see this as a blessing. her and her future-husband can go pick out a ring that she likes, and that is within their budget to get. nothing at all wrong with that. and @112, i have to say, i get really sick of everyone immediately making jabs at posters being American, like what you just said. not every person in America is a complete and total moron. And quite honestly, there are a large number of countries in the world where you don't marry for love or you don't get to choose who you marry, depending on the culture. yes, people can be stupid about marriage, but at least we have a choice in the matter.

I'm actually from the US, so I SEE how marriages are here. and I'm also sick of everyone assuming that the US is ONLY country that advertises personal liberties. Have you heard of this fantastic continent called Europe? You're free to do pretty much anything you want there. and crazy enough, there are some countries in South America, Africa, Asia, that emphasize on the freedom to do things. and of course, let's not forget about Australia! Sorry, you didn't develop the concept of of freedom, so stop taking credit for it.

^ She never said there weren't any other countries that didn't emphasize personal freedom. She simply claimed there are a lot of countries that don't.

spartan_girl 0

I agree with most of what you said, 111, but on the other hand, it depends on how long they are engaged for. I was engaged for over a year, and because my ring was not that expensive, my husband had it paid off months before we were married. Of course, once we got married, his money became my money (and vice versa), but if they do keep separate accounts (like many married couples do), she could view it as coming out of his separate account instead of coming out of their joint account. I paid for both my wedding band and my husband's, as well as much of our wedding (with help from my parents), because I had more money than he did. But it was nice that he made the effort to save enough of his money to buy my engagement ring himself, by sacrificing some of his own "spending money".

@119 I half agree with what you're trying to say however just because you live in the U.S doesn't mean that you are going to be less bias about how things are, maybe you are only seeing things from a certain perspective. I have noticed that in a few other comments you've made, you have judged what another person is saying without trying to see things from their perspective. Also, there are different types of marriages in every country in the world, it would be impossible to categorise marriages by countries. (or vice versa)

Asking for the OP to go halfsies on an engagement ring is like asking someone to go halfsies on their birthday present. It's tacky and frankly, a little rude. If OP's fiance can't afford the price of a full ring, he should either get a cheaper one or wait and save, unless they have previously made arrangements that she'd be paying half and agreed to it.

PiperWoods 0

don't marry him. he's cheap :P

omg.... I would have cried... and not a happy one either!

graciedacie 0

WHY does it matter?!?! I'm sick of all of the people who care who pays for what. If you're getting married you will be SHARING your finances. The number one cause of arguments in relationships is money...and the divorce rate is over 50%....HMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

joa76 3

Not all married couples pool their money. I mean, yeah, you sort of automatically have to share in paying for the house and the utilities and such, but that doesn't mean you have to have a "what's yours is mine" policy.

Many people have separate bank accounts. There aren't many, I don't think, who have joint accounts.

graciedacie 0

"Many" .....as in contributing to the over 50%? What's wrong with our world?

148 - No. I didn't mention anything about the divorce rate, and, in fact, the divorce rate isn't even close to 1 in 2 (I'm assuming you're in either Canada or USA, because I haven't looked up anything for anywhere else). Get your facts straight before you say anything. What I meant was, even married couples... MOST married couples... have separate bank accounts. This does not predict the end of their relationship nor does it signify any problems.

@121, Actually, the main reason for divorce is marriage.:)

OP again. Many of you still aren't getting the point. It has nothing to do with the cost of the ring. I don't care. It could be $50 and I'd be extatic. It's the gesture. The ring is a gift given asking for the girl's hand in marriage. You don't give someone a gift, and then later ask them to pay for

joa76 3

I think the main issue is 1. the use of the word halfsies, and 2. the timing. If he really wanted her to pay half, for a valid reason (which, since an engagement ring is basically a gift, I don't think makes much sense unless she's psycho and demands an expensive ring, in which case she doesn't need to be getting married to someone who can't afford one anyway), he should have discussed it, sensibly, at a completely separate time.