By Anonymous - 11/11/2018 05:00

Today, my ex-wife, who I have a 1000-yard restraining order against since she threatened my new wife and our kids, moved into a house down the street. The police say they can't do anything because her house is more than 1000 yards from mine. It's 1012 yards away. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 716
You deserved it 225

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Remember that a restraining order is just a piece of paper, and that's exactly how people like her see it. The law can't do anything to help you right now, so always keep your guard up and protect your family.

That's genuinely scary. If you don't own a gun, consider one.

Comments

Keep standing 999 yards away from her, so she has to constantly avoid violating it, until she gets the point.

TxKitten79 10

Then he's in violation of the order and can get in trouble.

Only if the restraining order is mutual. If it's only on her, it's solely her responsibility to keep away from him. In theory, at least. If you flat-out harassed someone after getting a restraining order, e.g., by cornering the person, then the judge probably wouldn't look too kindly on the hijinks.

Remember that a restraining order is just a piece of paper, and that's exactly how people like her see it. The law can't do anything to help you right now, so always keep your guard up and protect your family.

That's genuinely scary. If you don't own a gun, consider one.

Or some pepper spray and a phone to call the police with like a rational person.

Dirtysalamander1 13

are you that stupid? reread the op post again.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Hoeksche 10

a gun.. yes because that will solve everything, this is why the whole world thinks the usa is strange.

Dirtysalamander1 13

you are quick to think it's in the usa. not one time did they mention their location

When you have an irrational ex, don't expect a rational solution.

PenguinPal3017 19

A vigilante should make her feel very unwelcome. Anyone who threatens children more than deserves it. Her moving so close is a perpetual threat in its own. If I lived in your city I'd help.

Are you feeling okay? Where's the "Now that's what I call a sticky situation!" response?

PenguinPal3017 19

You're right, I'm breaking character.

OP's situation is so serious that it's no longer sticky.

whiskey'swino 15

Maybe they should amend it to "now thats what I call a tricky situation"

whiskey'swino 15

I heard the Psycho stabbing noises reading your post. They say the best revenge is a life happily lived. You must have been too perfect in your happiness to piss her off enough to pull this craziness. Yikes..

So if you walk more than 12m down your own road she has to leave her house?

zomboid 9

Yes. By law she can own and reside in the property, but must be notified EVERY (hint hint) time she is in violation of the restraining order. To include; passing on the street, at the mail box ( if within the restraining order limits), going to a neighbor's house, ect. Which if done properly, while notifying law enforcement and having evidence of both the transgression and their knowledge of said transgression, will put them in jail by Christmas. ;)

TxKitten79 10

No. if he does that then HE'S in violation because he's knowingly put himself within the limits

That’s still over a half a mile away. You should be able to find ways to avoid her.

Alexiskovich 6

Good luck knowing you OP. I don't look forward to seeing pictures of you and your family on the news.

Deez_Knots 10

I’d move. She’s definitely insane. Or put up security cameras at least to catch her in case she’s creeping around ur house at night

onceuponatime456 16

Go to court and explain to a judge what she did! She made a mockery of the court order and no judge will put up with that!

Let the judge know that she's driving by your house everyday now to knowingly violate his restraining order. Judges get very upset when they feel that they're being made fun of.

TxKitten79 10

A judge is going to say she's not violating the order as long as she stays 1,000 yards away. She's legally doing nothing wrong so it's not actionable.

It makes it very difficult to follow the rule, because he is even not able to go 29 m in one direction. It harms his freedom