By dEpPrEsSeDgIrL - 11/11/2009 11:28 - United States

Today, my dad decided to clean my 20 gallon fish tank. I had 6 fish. One of them was called a transparent fish, clear with a bright orange tail, which was my favorite. My dad didn't see it, and dumped the water out along with it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 908
You deserved it 3 922

Same thing different taste

Top comments

OHIOxRAIN 0

Cheer UP, I have a transparent dog. We lose him a lot also

There are no fish called "transparent fish". There are glass fish, which are not completely transparent and if you're seeing it with a bright orange tail, it was probably dyed. Either way, your father shouldn't be cleaning your fish tank by "dumping" it out, which would be stressful to the fish and harmful to the tank's bacteria colonies. He should have been using a siphon which, when used correctly in the gravel, will not suck up fish. YDI for probably making all this up. And BTW, for all who are arguing, there are hundreds of published books and reports that use the term "fishes" as a plural for "fish". It can indeed work both ways.

Comments

Peacemaker9 7

Aw poor fish................its more like FTFL(**** The Fishes Life) should get your dad back by throwing out one of he's favorite thing say maybe....................his tv?

EVOLUTION AT WORK. clear scales camouflaged your fish, had you not trapped it within such a space, it would have been able to survive, due to lack of predators who could destroy the environment. Mourn not for your fish, for he proved his species to be good.

Fish has two plural forms. You use 'fish' to refer to fish viewed collectively and "fishes" to refer to individual species or members of the group. Example: "The pond is full of fish. The fishes in the pond are tuna, salmon, and pickerel." The OP might very well have had six fishes. Since the OP's wording has been changed now, it doesn't really matter.

Maybe it's just me... but I don't see the word "fishes" anywhere in the FML.

coldplaylive2003 0

and dumped IT out along with the water...

Fish only die quickly because of lack of appropriate care. They die most often because they are in a tank to small for their size. Their insides continue to grow, but they cannot grow physically larger in size because of the constraints of the tank. A good rule of thumb (which the OP seems to be observing) is no more than 1 inch (expected adult size, not size at purchase) of fish per gallon for freshwater, and no more than 2 inches of fish per gallon for salt water. Fish can live for years (my zebra danios should hopefully live another 5 years to reach their typical 10 yr lifespan) when they are properly taken care of. And what's wrong with attachment to animals just because they aren't furry or cuddly? My fish know me and get excited when I come to the tank. Fish (and snails too!) can be very entertaining.

To those claiming the fish doesn't exist - The species described by the op is the "pristella tetra." I've got them in my tank as well. Many fish stores will re-name a species so they sound better. For example, pristellas are frequently found listed as "X-Ray Tetra" or "X-Ray Fish."

Pristella Tetra are NOT transparent. Their fins have more color and they can be seen in a small body of water.

I agree with #54. Not a Pristilla tetra. A Blushing Pristilla would potentially be a long shot.

They aren't 100% transparent, no, and of course the fins have color - OP even stated the fish had a bright orange tail. Some pristellas are more solid and silver, but a majority of mine have been mostly clear - especially the gold variety. They're very easy to overlook, especially when you're viewing the tank from above (as you generally are when cleaning). It's a pain in the butt when you're trying to catch them to move them, believe me.

taureau139 0

I'm pretty sure its the fish that gets to claim FML on this one.

Why is it that fml is full of grammar ***** nazi's who check their typing like 12 times before posting! So pointless, people make a typo get over it! Its not like fyl. Its missing a letter. I can tpye liek tihs and you bairn wlil sitll udnertansd its celver lkie taht!

Key words: "my tank" Clean it yourself and these things wouldn't happen.

i usually do it with my dad. i'm only 13 n i cant lift heavy things, i didnt know he would clean tank himself