By Anonymous - 18/07/2016 11:51 - Belgium

Today, my boss refused my resignation and acted like nothing had happened. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 104
You deserved it 1 167

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Garnetshaddow 30

I know it's probably a mistake... but I laughed when I saw this was under "intimacy" instead of "work."

You should talk to HR about it and make sure you make a paper trail.

Comments

ApparentlyNotEno 28

Stop showing up and cash your pay cheques until they stop. You've given your notice - if they choose to continue paying you, that's on them. (I'm not certain how employment law works in Belgium, but that would be the route I'd take here.)

OP "I quit". Boss "that's good, smoking is a nasty habit". OP "no, my job". Boss "well we'll beat smoking together! I'm glad you decided to stay" OP "... What just happened"

Scootythedog 17

See what happens when you stop showing up

Lmfao, your boss can't really do anything about you wanting to quit. One of my mom's bosses said she couldn't quit on the spot but she did. That boss treated her like crap and she was having her stomach checked b/c of her cancer she had

mariri9206 32

Also, 18, Michigan being an at-will state works for your mother. Companies don't have to have reason or give you a specific amount of notice if they fire you but that works the same way for people who want to quit their jobs in at will employment states. It's the professional thing to do, especially if you want a good reference, but it's not necessary or legally required.

Really? You don't have to give your notice? I really wouldn't to live there, since that probably works both ways too...

mariri9206 32

Shade, most states in the US are "at will" states which means you can be fired for any reason or no reason so long as it's not for a discriminatory reason with absolutely no notice or warning (like write ups or warnings or anything like that) and it does work both ways. They don't have to give you notice or a reason and neither do you. Again, giving notice is professional courtesy, but, no, it's not necessary to give.

just stop showing up and maybe get paid for still "working" there.

Does he have a computer? If so, get a knife or screwdriver or something and scratch "F*ck yourself, I quit" (or screw yourself if you're like me and don't swear) Then just never come back.

....And then owe him or his company possibly upwards of a few thousand dollars. And who doesn't LOVE getting charged with vandalism? What a GREAT idea! /sarcasm

I guess I'm lucky to be in a "right to work" state. Nothing they can do about it (althoug it's the same the other way around).

mariri9206 32

That's not right to work, that's at will. At will is when you don't need a reason or specified amount of time to be fired or leave your job. Right to work means you have the right to work whether or not you want to join a union - they can't punish you by not letting you work if you want to join a union or if you don't.