By _RaeRae - 18/11/2014 09:26 - United States - Argyle

Today, I told my mom that my boyfriend, who I've been living with for a year, and I were moving to another state at the end of the month. I told her in a restaurant, over lunch, where she then just got up and left me there without saying a word. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 393
You deserved it 7 865

_RaeRae tells us more.

I didn't have enough room to elaborate on my post. it was spur of the moment on my part too. boyfriend is in the oilfield and they needed him up and moved ASAP. so she new a week after I knew. I just needed a week for it to set in.

Top comments

Nightwing98 22

Maybe she wanted more than 2 weeks notice that you were leaving.

usnwife 18

That changes my opinion a little! We're a military family, so I understand short notice. Doesnt make it any easier for your mom to process though... Especially if you havent discussed marriage with him your mom may be worried about you leaving to follow a boy you have no commitment with. Hopefully it all works out!!

Comments

Nightwing98 22

Maybe she wanted more than 2 weeks notice that you were leaving.

I agree. While she shouldn't have just left like that, I think it would have been better to tell her about it earlier. That way she'd have some time to process it and become okay with the idea of your leaving.

usnwife 18

Yup. Id be pissed if anyone in my family did that to me, especially my daughter! Even if i loved her boyfriend and they had been living together it woukd be hard to accept that she was leaving so soon and going so far. Not saying Mom was right to leave, but OP certainly should have said something sooner!

I think she was right to leave. If she spoke out of reactionary hurt she could have caused a very serious argument wit her daughter. I'm probably in the minority here, but Mom did the mature thing and walked away instead of cause a scene/go on the attack.

could have beeb that one of them got a job or transferred though and didn't know about it. never know people's situations

Any of you ever heard of a last minute decision? She might not have had more than 2 weeks notice.

Misswildsides 22

Or simply that OPs mom isn't ready to let them go, and that leaving within the next two weeks is not enough times notice.

Did she like your boyfriend? Because maybe she was done with you two... But goog luck moving anyway!

ileenefudge 29

Well, that went well didn't it?...

Your mom just loves you and feels a sad you're leaving. Don't be too hard on her op. This is one of those neither you deserve it not your life sucks. It's just a part of growing up.

muis545 21

It's okay OP, different people have different ways of handling news that they feel impact them. Just comfort her and give her more details later when the two of you are alone. Express each other's feelings together and you guys should be fine!

shelbycobra0991 8

Good luck on the move, OP. But from a mother's perspective, a few weeks notice isn't enough time. It would have been best to have had this conversation in private. That way, no one would have to be embarrassed in public.

rieebee 23

I don't know how close to your mom you are, but I doubt the move is a spur of the moment kind of thing. She was probably upset you didn't mention you were planning to move, just letting her know you'd be moving less than 2 weeks prior.

"Since I only had the salad, you'll be receiving an invoice for your Alaskan king crab in the mail, mother."