By AlwaysTired - 14/09/2016 14:57 - United States

Today, marks the third time this month my parents came to visit. I moved 5 hours away to get away from them. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 155
You deserved it 1 535

Same thing different taste

Top comments

It's the 14th, which means OP's parents have visited three times in two weeks. That's ridiculous, especially since they live 5 hours away. It's totally reasonable that OP is burnt out and irritated. OP, you need some boundaries. Establish how often you feel comfortable with them visiting, tell them and stick to it.

That actually blows, I feel you dude. Even worse is when they whine about you never coming to visit. Lately I've just had to use the "too much work/schoolwork" excuse. Good luck to ya, sorry to hear

Comments

Darn it, it's so terrible when parents want to see their children and go great lengths to make that happen!

op said they moved just to get away from their parents, you don't know what happened and why they don't wanna see their parents that often. this doesn't necessarily mean they're ungrateful or whatever.

hellobobismyname 24

Sadly, not everybody has a great relationship with their parents. I also hate when my dad comes around since he's always dropping by unannounced to either ask for money or lecture me on life. Don't judge so quickly :)

She moved 5 hours to be away from them, maybe something happened or they don't get along. You don't know the family situation. Not everybody grows up with pa and ma Ingalls you know!! I moved to the other side of the country to be away from my "parents" and for good reason, so don't judge so quickly!

Even people with great relationships with their parents may not want to see them often. There are things called email and telephones. Sometimes it has nothing to do with the parents, some people just want their space. If they really wanted to see their child that much they should have planned activities such as going out to a restaurant or something. For all we know their insistence on seeing OP (possibly unannounced) may be the only reason OP moved away.

It's also only two weeks into the month. 3 visits in 2 weeks would be too much for me and I like it when my parents visit...

Maybe you should talk to them. This could help. Wish you the best :)

That actually blows, I feel you dude. Even worse is when they whine about you never coming to visit. Lately I've just had to use the "too much work/schoolwork" excuse. Good luck to ya, sorry to hear

My friend didn't talk to his family for years because they didn't like his wife and he just found out his mom has stage 4 cancer and has months to lives cherish the love u have for them or u will regret it he is big time especially as his wife kicked him out and left him for another guy

Grammar Nazi moment.. do you know what punctuation consists of? Your gigantic run-on sentence here makes this hard to read.

countryb_cth 38

Not everyone has good parents. Some people are better off without them. Whether it be abuse or something else not everyone wants to be around their parents. Just because of that one situation doesn't mean it's like that for everyone. You don't know what OP has been through so don't make them feel bad when you don't even know the whole story.

Do they drop by unexpectedly, or do they actually make plans to come see you? If it's the first one, tell them that they need to ask you before they come over, it's unfair to just force a visit on you without giving warning. You can't constantly cancel your plans for the day just for them. You have your own life, and rearranging your schedule around them without any notice isn't fair. If it's the second, then you can just say no or that you're busy, it's really not that hard.

species4872 19

Why such the big deal in calling ahead? My kids randomly drop in. Doesn't matter what I'm doing always a pleasure to see them. Just be lucky they want to see you.

You *want* them to be there. Clearly OP doesn't.

gemstone586 12

you are the parent. parents want to see their kids. kids don't always want to see their parents. as a parent, it's heartbreaking to me that my little angel might feel that way someday.

It's the 14th, which means OP's parents have visited three times in two weeks. That's ridiculous, especially since they live 5 hours away. It's totally reasonable that OP is burnt out and irritated. OP, you need some boundaries. Establish how often you feel comfortable with them visiting, tell them and stick to it.

At the risk of being pedantic, FMLs can take a while to get published and "today" doesn't necessarily mean September 14, 2016. They could also mean "month" as in roughly the last 30 days. You're right, though. OP needs to establish boundaries, especially because they need to adjust to their new surroundings and living alone. Bringing parents in to all that and so often is too much.

cootiequeen4444 11

isn't the date on the fml the date of submission though?? otherwise how was there one with an August date a few days ago? Maybe I'm remembering wrong though *shrug*

sometimes old ones get reposted tho I'm not completely sure how it works. I am however fairly confident that they don't get posted the day of

All FMLS start with "today." This could have been an older fml that they just posted today

dannidoll93 24

Your parents love you, clearly. I'm sure you have your reasons for needing your space but maybe you can compromise by telling them how you feel and discussing some boundaries? I mean, it's either that or move to the other side of the planet only to discover that they're still willing to make the trip several times a month.

Sometimes you can just spend too much time together and they get on your nerves. I know parents might just wanna be looking out for their kids but there are times where you just need time to breathe. I've been snowed in with my parents for a month while on holiday so I know how it feels. Maybe to have them not come to you as much you could go to them once a month or more, you can always limit the time too, goodluck op

Move further. Try Europe, see if they follow you all the way out there. If they do, well, time to accept your fate.