By theshire - 12/08/2014 06:23 - France - Nice

Today, it's been 10 days since my family and I have been visiting France. I've always wanted to try their culinary specialties but my dad says we "can't trust them". We've eaten at McDonald's 9/10 times. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 340
You deserved it 4 010

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I'm so sorry OP. What's stopping you from going out on your own?

McDonalds will kill you eating it like that.

Comments

No matter where you are from and which European country you are visiting: local food is always worth trying it. I think by going to McDonalds you really miss something.

ChristianH39 30

This. I always thought half the fun of being a tourist is in trying the local food

KVKdragon 26

It is and it isn't. For someone like me with a ton of food allergies, trying new foods can be risky and dangerous. Even with an EpiPen (or some other epinephrine injector) on hand, it's a pretty daunting risk to constantly think about when eating local food in a foreign country. Plus, having all these food allergies since birth affected me developmentally. I'm a terribly picky eater, even though I do get good nutrition through a balanced diet. I occasionally try new foods every now and then but it takes a lot of will power and suppression of my own stubbornness to do so lol

LocoMarshmallow 13

I'm guessing you're not lovin it

When in France you're not eating French Fries, you're eating FREEDOM FRIES! Make your country proud! *salute*

RedPillSucks 31

Not sure why you're being downvoted. I guess the American audience doesn't get it (Yes, I know the site is visited by lots of countries).

Mads_1234 28

I'm American and I got it... This made me laugh for quite a while

Make your dad watch that documentary about that guy who ate McDonalds for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Maybe that would make him change his mind.

Animated_Lunch 11

That documentary as since been criticized because there is no way with the amount of calories he said he was consuming that he could gain all that weight. Additionally he tracked all his calories but still has not released the data. There is a follow up documentary called Fat Head which is a hilarious look at the bogus the health food industry tries to force through regulation. The guy in Fat Head eats McDonalds every day for 30 days and he loses weight, so explain that.

He may have lost weight, but I bet his health declined too.

It is not about just weight. It is also about cardiovascular risk. Being thin doesn't mean that you can eat more that kind of food. You might look thinner but your arteries can be all clogged up of cholesterol.

RedPillSucks 31

Different people have different metabolism. Easily explained.

I would be more concerned about the McDonalds in France than the actual French food...

Why? There are McDonald's in countries around the world.

Simply because in my experience, which admittedly is limited to the South of France, McDonalds there isn't great. I've only had McDonalds in France twice, but they were in completely different areas and a couple of years apart and neither times agreed with me, at all. Either way, how on earth is being more concerned about ridiculously unhealthy and fairly questionable fast food rather than genuine french cuisine in any way 'ignorant'? Idiot.

Hey #43, your stupidity is showing.

Attacksloth 33

Am I the only one who doesn't view this as an FML? Maybe I'm being harsh, but you are on vacation in France, something I and probably 60% of others in my country can't afford. With that said if you haven't already, go to the Louvre. :)

Go out on your own to try it.Then say it was really good and they might want to.

I hope you won't let your father's irrational attitude prevent you from venturing out on your own to have some proper French food before you return home. I've been there a number of times and the food is one of many great things about France. Perhaps you and another family member (your mother?) can approach your dad together and try to make him see reason.

OP, you're living Vincent's dream: Royale with Cheese and beer.

in fact it's called "Royal Cheese" and not "Royal with cheese"

I figured. I'm just saying it how Vincent said it.

That sucks OP. Maybe try easing your family into french cuisine by taking them to a patisserie first and making them try macaroons and paine au chocolats. After tasting how amazing that is they might be tempted to try other foods. You won't need to do much convincing, those patisseries smell like heaven.