By Nora - 12/11/2015 21:21 - United States - Fargo

Today, I went to the doctor for the second time, because I've had a cough for about six weeks. In my first appointment, the nurse said it was just allergies and condescendingly gave me a brochure with a recipe for salt water. Turns out it's pneumonia. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 065
You deserved it 1 649

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Did she not listen to your lungs at your last appointment? lung sounds are definitely useful clues.

I had the exact same thing happen to me!! I sat there, hacking up a lung with a 102 fever while they told me it was "just allergies". Yep, pneumonia. That was 5 years ago and it still makes me so mad!

Comments

once I ate a watermelon seed and then my dad died. worst. summer. ever.

So the first time you only talked to a nurse? Or only took their advice? I guess this is why second opinions are necessary.

7and7is 20

Do people cough from allergies? That doesn't seem right.

People cough a lot from allergies, have runny nose, itchy eyes, and can have trouble breathing. From my experience anyway, but I wouldn't think pneumonia would be so close to allergies..

CrassKal 27

Allergies can cause swelling in the airways making it harder to breath and allow for mucus to accumulate. So yes, allergies can make you cough due to trying to clear your airways.

Actually, it happens a lot. See, you accumulate mucus in your nose and sinuses, which then drips down your throat and into your lungs. That, in turn, makes you cough to get the mucus out. I've had pneumonia 3 times. the only real difference between that and allergies is it feels like you're gonna die. :D

You should always get A second opinion if you don't think the nurse or doctor seems to be helping you adequately

c3llyhard 7

This whole site is all about you-problems. That is the whole thing.

Something like this happened to me not long ago as well. I never get sick but was very flu-y. I went to the doctor and she told me I had a cough. I didn't have a cough at all. The next day I was so sick I couldn't get out of bed, couldn't even keep water down. I saw another doctor and I had an ear infection and a really bad case of the flu. She immediately prescribed me antibiotics. I know what I'm talking about in that I never get sick and when I do it's pretty serious, but the first doctor totally ignored me.

ive had this happen to me before.. get better op ^.^

LadyLuck93 20

I feel your pain. The exact same thing happened to me recently, they told me it was bronchitis. Now I have to get my lungs checked out with xrays. ******* sucks, get better soon.

sue for malpractice. you're a millionaire. congratulations.

Ihavegas 22

i had iritis, the nurse took one look and said it was conjunctivitis. if didnt lie about not able to see i wouldnt have spoken to the doctor who correctly diagnosed it. this is thr difference between nurses and doctors.