By poorgirl - 17/05/2016 13:03 - United States

Spicy
Today, I was reminded what poverty is like when I had to choose between buying food and buying pads. Now, I have to take constant bathroom breaks and wipe off my pad. I don't get paid until after my period ends. FML
I agree, your life sucks 18 321
You deserved it 1 705

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Invest in a menstrual cup. The cups are reusable and pay for themselves over just a few months.

You could always use toilet tissue as a pad or a cloth. Not the best option, but better than not eating

Comments

chessu 21

How expensive are they in the US? In England you can get definitely get a pack for a pound (with like 20-30 in it, branded even if on deals). Unless you've got a ridiculously heavy flow or it lasts for a solid week, you should be able to get by with one pack. Surely, that one pound of food won't make that much of a difference? Unless you only have like 5$, I guess.. In the future, have pads stocked up and join loyalty schemes where you can get deals, points or vouchers and keep them for emergencies. For now, borrow a fiver (if you don't want to say why, just say you forgot your purse and will transfer it back; most people won't chase 5 bucks immediately). DO NOT buy noodles! You will get more out of a pack of pasta if that's what you're going for. Not sure what's the deal in the States, but in most of Europe, vegetables will be more cost effective (for a pound you could get a small baked potato, carrots and onions - make that into a soup and it'll be more healthy and make up for more meals). Porridge is pretty cost effective; eggs have protein that'll fill you up and are not expensive in bulk (add some veggies for omelet); a loaf of bread can go for a long while. Also, go to shops before closing, they normally do discounted things

truckers_wife 23

pads are like $5 for a small pack, maybe like $15 for a big one. I'm really guessing here, I don't pay attention to the actual price I just buy the best deal over all. but they are quite expensive

truckers_wife 23

and as for food, unfortunately junk food is cheaper, unless you want to live off of bananas and oatmeal or whatever.

chessu 21

Wow, really that expensive? That's ridiculous! And oatmeal and bananas will fill you up longer than a Maccie D's (fibre vs carbs). I personally like oatmeal and bananas, but even if I didn't, I'd still suck it up and eat that if I had to. Junk food just appears cheap, but realistically, the next time you need to eat will come quicker (+ it's not really something you can half a meal to use as lunch and dinner both). Minimised portions are better than no portions.

Yes they are that expensive here! It is ridiculous! On top of it, we have to pay a "luxury tax" on them.

moosetracks22 10

Yep, pads are a bit expensive but I find that Amazon is one of the cheaper places to get them. I just bought at least a 6 month supply of pads for about $27. It's a pretty good deal and they're high quality ones too

Lol I wish my pads were 1£ last time at the store $7.99 for like 36, which will last me 1-1.5 periods (the packaging says 3 months supply, sure) God forbid you get your period on vacation, had to go to the hotel gift shop and it was like $7 for a box of 10 tampons.

For a medium pack I pay no more than $2. And it lasts me 2 months. I avoid name brands I guess. Plus we're in a pretty poor town, so it's not too much. Basically, it's all about where you are, which shop, name brand, etc. (Sorry I'm bored. Too much?)

I live in Australia. Pads are so expensive. It's like $8 for a 10 pack where I live. You could get the supermarket brand for about $4 or $5 and get almost 20 pads, but they're not nearly as absorbent and they rarely stick to your underwear properly. It's wrong that we have to pay so much for something that we can't really control. But I agree with making stew. You can make a huge pot and freeze it and have healthy food for ages and it'll actually fill you up. Have some bread with it and it'll be even more worth your while. There are loaves of bread for 80 cents where I live. Don't be afraid to ask for help either. Good luck, OP.

If you've got an ALDI near you #79, give their pads a go, lot cheaper than the big brands but more effective than the no name brands. My wife converted to them about a year ago after years of only ever getting the Stayfree brand.

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately I live in the NT and we don't have any Aldi here. Only Woolworths and Coles. It sucks! They look very good though. Luckily I went on BC to help my very painful periods and I hardly bleed now. I get two cycles out of a packet. Before I would need almost 2 packets per cycle. I tried to stock up throughout the month if I could, and I would constantly be on the lookout for when they were on special. TMI, sorry! I absolutely recommend trying to get a store loyalty card so you can gather points with each purchase. I do this with Flybuys points at Coles. It took a couple of months but I gathered enough points for $20 off my shop and it seriously helped me out when I was in a jam. Look into your options, OP. You'd be surprised by how many there are out there.

It's all well and good saying people can live off vegetables, but I would be constantly moody if I did that (personally) - the only things that fill me up are protein-based, like Quorn or cheese or meats. Junk food isn't good for you in the long term (and debatably, the short term) but I'd always eat a gross and unappetising burger over a tasty tomato soup if I had to because otherwise I'd just feel hungry again in half an hour.

truckers_wife 23
OnlySkyrimStays 11

Quorn is like fake meat that comes from a type of mushroom.

Wow, In Australia the average price of pads is $7.50 and that's for a 10 pack.

I live in England and to buy a packet of lads with about 10/15 in it costs at least £3/£4... And to buy fruit and vegetables it actually costs more than a ready meal of junk food... Unless you're shopping at £1 shops you don't get the prices you're on about.

BigBubbaJ 13

1) learn to coupon. I had like two years of pads saved up for literal pennies. I like the krazy coupon lady, though she's a bit commercial now. 2) look into a menstrualcup, as another poster suggested. There's a learning curve, but they're great. 3)in the meantime...use old socks. That pad is going to be a reeking, smelly, bacteria filled mess very soon.

Rolled up toilet paper will work, too. Do not wipe off the pad, just dispose of it. It will turn very nasty indeed...

If you go online, top of pad companies will send you free samples!

Dude honestly if it's come to that, go to a food pantry or a women's shelter to see if they have stuff for you.

Cloth pads are also great, they pay for themselves after a few uses and if washes a high temperature are hygienic :)

The Planned Parenthood I went to had some for free. Not like a whole box, but I got like 3-4 different ones as samples every time I went.

Check with your local church to see if they've received any donations, usually they'll get some feminine products as part of that. They'll likely be bargain brand diaper style but it's better than nothing.

If you are close to the women you work with you can always try and borrow some. I had that issue when I started earlier this week unexpectedly and had nothing on me and no way of getting anything until I got home. Luckily I borrowed some from someone at work so can't hurt to ask.

Ms_Monster 6

personally, it wouldn't really matter to me if the person wasn't close to me. i think i'd give just about anyone a spare pad if they need one.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
deathstroke990 22

this is literally an app for people to complain about weird things that happen to them and periods are as natural as a heartbeat, chill

Crybaby. Is your masculinity so fragile that it'll break if hear about natural bodily processes?